can train kitten to not jump on artwork?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

can train kitten to not jump on artwork??

Hi I am new to this forum. My little budgie died last week I was thinking of getting another but I have problems with the sometimes incessant noise they make!. I am a cat lover and have always had a cat...but my apartment doesnt allow cats and dogs which is why I got a bird. But now they are allowed. I am an artist and wonder if I can train a kitten to not go near my artwork?!! There is no door...thank you. It would be nice if I got an answer today as I want to rush out tomorrow and try to get one!! Also being it will be an indoor cat it wont get fleas right? Or other illnesses that outdoor cats do? thank you!! diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Cat

Re: can train kitten to not jump on artwork??

Hmmm, it kind of depends on the artwork and the cat.

The younger the cat the more wild they are. Kittens 2-3 months old will happily scale anything like it's his/her own personal Everest. Curtains are a favorite. So is any soft furniture. By 5 months they tend to be excellent jumpers and can go right for that awesome perch under the window or high counter top. They only claw when they misjudge the height or start to fall as a means of catching themselves.

So if your artwork is sculpture and resembles trees, then I expect most cats will happily christen it for you. If it's paintings, you could minimize their attractiveness. Don't leave them near windows to make good perches, don't drape cloths over them to make attractive things to climb or attack like curtains. Make sure you put all your paints and brushes away so kitty can't walk across and knock them everywhere.

Older cats tend to be less interested in play and more in finding comfortable places to sleep.

If you're very concerned about your artwork, I'd look into ways of securing it away from any playful kitties. Maybe a portable storage locker to keep it safe when you're out.

In general, our cats have always left our artwork alone. It's our furniture and curtains they messed with.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

Paint pictures of dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry I had to laugh at this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Paint pictures of dogs.

But yes, I know too well how rambunctious kittens can get. Yes, I agree with not leaving the artwork/easels near the window to make that excellent vantage point. Also putting away the brushes is necessary. My Miu loves to bat anything...even pens. Curtains...omg, no drapings on the stuff. Miu LOVES to hide under draping blankets/robes and jump out to attack imaginary foes or the dog.

Seriously though, I don't wanna appear like I'm preaching, but you should have waited it out..asked questions here, browsed a bit, before making the decision. I would never throw Miu out to a shelter or give her away and I love her to bits. However, I do wish I had done more research and calmed down a bit first instead of impulsively adopting her.

If you're afraid of a naughty kitten then it might be better to consider adopting an older cat. They're not as jumpy and don't feel the need to tear around at high speeds. Well, not as much as kittens anyways. Miu is six months old now and she's quite a handful.

Having an indoor cat will reduce the risk of getting certain diseases that outdoor cats can get. However, never say never. I always err on the side of caution. I would get the usual shots given for kittens, at least the first round. A kitten loses the immunity given to them by their mother after a couple of months. In subsequent years, you can opt to either get them or not.

Anyways, Diane, there's a lot of info to digest. If you have any other questions, feel free to post here. There are lot of experts who would be happy to help you.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Banned

Yeah. No, you can't even THINK about expecting a kitten to avoid anything. If you can't put your artwork in a closed room, either don't get a cat or get an ADULT cat (better yet, 2 who already love each other)--by adult I mean at least 3-4 years old and known to be on the sedate side.

I have given up using my laptop in the living room for the foreseeable future. Jonah is now 6 mos. It will be at least a year, I think. I can't even imagine drawing or painting w/ him around!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

cant say NO to kitten over and over and it wouldn t jump on

Thank you for all your advice! I cant remember what it was like to have a kitten and I didnt do artwork then! I was hoping as it would be a young kitten you could just keep saying "NO!" and eventually it would get it...but I guess that only works with dogs? Is there a breed that would be easier to train or would a male/female be easier? A couple years ago I snuck a kitten into my apartment that back then didnt accept pets, she was quite the character! She jumped straight away on my large bird cage and landed on the side spreadeagled and would NOT LET GO!! Then she demanded that I go to bed NOW! I ate a piece of cheese in bed and she HAD to have some when she ate it she not only demanded more she went right up to my mouth and tried WITH HER MOUTH to take a bite!!! I wonder what kind of cat she became!!! I had to give her up ,it was hard but she would have been quite the handful!!!!What a cutie though. She was a tabby. I love tabbies the most and that is what I would get.The one I had was very smart.BUT he would jump onto my sewing like he owned it. I miss him. thank you for your advice, I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Re: cant say NO to kitten over and over and it wouldn t jump on

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairissadi
Thank you for all your advice! I cant remember what it was like to have a kitten and I didnt do artwork then! I was hoping as it would be a young kitten you could just keep saying "NO!" and eventually it would get it...but I guess that only works with dogs?
Well, (1) no, cats aren't much like dogs, and (2) repeatedly saying "no" to puppy won't get you very far, either. You cannot expect a baby to act like an adult! Would you bring a toddler or a 4 year old or a 6 year old child into your place and turn them loose? Would you expect to be able to say "no" a few times and they would magically behave like adults? Hopefully not!
Quote:
Is there a breed that would be easier to train or would a male/female be easier?
2 older adult cats. Sex unimportant as long as spayed/neutered. Shelters often have older pets surrendered when the owners die or abandon them for other reasons--these cats are hard to adopt out and would be so happy to have a home. Of course, you can't expect them to not get into stuff, either. If you truly have that expectation, I wouldn't get an animal at all, at least until you have a place where you can close your studio door.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Cat Addict

As far as it looks to me, you can't control a cat like you do a dog. I'm fortunate that Miu understands the word NO and also she responds to it maybe 70% of the time. However, I wouldn't say you can command a cat to stop doing something with saying NO repeatedly.

I also found if you don't want the cat in certain places, you have to make that place uninteresting to them. When Miu finds a new place, she stubbornly insists upon checking it out. Then it's up to her if she'll continue going there or not. There's places that she's checked out a few times, found nothing interesting and moved on. However, there's also other places that have nothing interesting but, she still goes there. So, there's really no guarantee on what they'll do. If you have no doors, you basically have to resign to the fact that the cat will do as it pleases. There's several deterent tactics, but I found they don't guarantee results and depends on the individual cat.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpaca
As far as it looks to me, you can't control a cat like you do a dog. I'm fortunate that Miu understands the word NO and also she responds to it maybe 70% of the time.
And this is when you're HOME, LOL. I can guarantee you that she's up on whatever-it-is the minute you're out the door.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you ,all that was so helpful! When I had cats I could close the door to my workroom but in my new apartment my studio was my dining room so there is no door. Yes I will think about it...but if one day I see a tabby kitten on my walk to town...well I dont think I could resist!! I LOVE CATS!!! So if that happened maybe my workroom will go into my bedroom that has a door!! Cats are the best arent they?!!!! di
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page