White kitten not white anymore? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

White kitten not white anymore?

The skin on my 5 day old white kittens' tails and ears are changing to a black color, but the hair is still white. Does that mean the hair will start to change color soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Re: White kitten not white anymore?

If they are Siamese, they are born white, and the points appear gradually. It is possible for kittens to change color.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

It means they are going to possibly lovely little color points. Pictures?

Here is my Chica at just a few days old:

This is her now:

Ugh mom! No pictures when I'm just waking up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ah, I see, yours turned into a beautiful cat I have no clue who the father was, so I am excited about the possibilities!

Here's my 2 cuties. I have 6 total. (1 of the white ones got the manx gene from mama, so it has no tail )

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Cat Addict

Thanks Little Princess Chica appreciates the complements, even though she would have preferred at least 3 hours of grooming before that picture was taken! I think they might be color points! You should keep us updated on pictures as they grow!

This was my friend's kitten- her cat had a litter. I think he's about 2 or 3 weeks old here, I don't quite remember. Eyes are just opening, and his color is becoming darker on his face, lets, ears, and tail. He turned out to be a lovely fawn pointed kitty! (Whitish in color, gray smokey points
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Premier Cat

Momma is a beautiful girl, and she has an adorable litter. It will be so exciting to see them grow and change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Cat

aaahhh, so cuuttteee!!!! the shelter i got azores at said she was born gray all over and i guess she just whitened up with time lol.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Aww my kittens are sooooo cute, they are starting to open their eyes today!!

I do have a quick question though: Does a lynx point coloration only happen with Siamese or Siamese mix? I don't know who the father was so I was wondering if I should be prepared for Siamese like behavior if they turn out to be lynx points? Also as far as I can tell they are all short haired... I'm not sure you can tell that at little over a week old. So would that rule out all of the long haired breeds?

Also, do all breeds with color points have the blue eyes?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Cat Addict

I believe you get lynx points from siamese + tabby. Both parents must have the recessive pointing gene. I believe the gene for expressing the stripes is dominant and the kittens only need it from one parent.

My lynx point had a long hair seal point mom, and a brown tabby and white father.

If they look short hair, they probably are. I believe long hair is recessive. However, not *all* long hair kittens show it this early, so maybe they will be long hair. As for siamese behavior- it all depends. Not even all pure bred siamese go along with the breed personality standard. My lynx point is sweet and quiet, and not that talkative at all. Instead of a distinct strong voice, she has a little "merp" of a meow.

Do all color point cats have blue eyes? Personally, I don't have the answer to that. I'm leaning towards yes- I've never seen a color point without blue eyes.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Tom Cat

As someone who has a litter of 5 who all had very different looking coat lengths up until 10 weeks, I can tell you, even that isn't a determining factor. Because if I showed you a picture of the kitten I kept at 3 weeks, or even 8 weeks, and a picture of her now, you'd be shocked. I would show but I need to load kodak picture thing on this computer, maybe this weekend I can get that done.

I thought for sure she'd be this beautiful long haired blue and white bi-color cat. Her fur is longer, but its very sleek like my black and white bi-color. Not at all what I was hoping for, but it worked out, she hardly sheds at all.

Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page