Cat Clone - wait, huh? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cat Clone - wait, huh?

This is old news, but I just found this out the other day and thought it was very interesting.

Meet Rainbow, the cat, and "her kitten" CC.

The interesting thing about this pair of kitties? They are exact genetic clones.

This was done in 2002, but it's still very neat! Their difference in coat sure is bizarre. Just goes to show you can never know with cats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Cat

Re: Cat Clone - wait, huh?

Did they get along with each other or did they have issues? And if they fought with each other, would that be like fighting your inner demons on the outside? The good thing is “Stop hitting yourself” and arguing with yourself is ‘ok’ in this situation and is not crazy. And oh, he/she can totally be in two places at the same time!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Cat

Very neat! The difference in colouring is ridiculous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Cat

Different coloring = why we stupid humans shouldn't mess with genetics. What we think we know and what there actually is to know are leagues apart.

Still cute couple. But I'd be careful kitty clone doesn't grow up to eat her mother/self one day.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Cat

Strange, very strange.

If they wanted to clone a cat, look inside a shelter... you'll see a bunch that look a like. I'll never forget the day I walked into the local Petsmart to pick up something for one of the girls and happen to walk by the "Adpot a Pet" area. It breaks my heart so I usually try to stay away, but this one tortie caught my eye. Then the other one and the next one. I swear to God, they all had the same green eyes and coat pattern. It was very hard to tell them apart. The kicker? Each one had a different age by year, so they weren't from the same litter.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyMonster
This is old news, but I just found this out the other day and thought it was very interesting.

Meet Rainbow, the cat, and "her kitten" CC.

The interesting thing about this pair of kitties? They are exact genetic clones.

This was done in 2002, but it's still very neat! Their difference in coat sure is bizarre. Just goes to show you can never know with cats!
actually, i looked this story up. the tabby was just a surrogate mother. the kitten was cloned from a brown tabby cat that has the same markings as the kitten.

heres the pic of the cat that was cloned (on the left) and the surrogate mom with the cloned kitten (right).
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Cool Cat

Trivia fun fact: clones of torties and calicoes won't look like the cloned animal (and in fact won't be torties or calicoes) because one of the x-chromosomes in the cell that's used for cloning won't be active.

http://www.messybeast.com/clonecat.htm#limitations2

This is why Rainbow and CC don't look alike, not because anything went wrong with the cloning process.

CC has apparently produced healthy kittens that have no sign of cloning-related problems.

It's important to remember that clones are just identical twins that are different ages. There's nothing particularly weird about it. If you've ever known an identical twin, you've known a natural clone!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

The difference in her coat is surprising.
I hope Rainbow is healthy, and doesnn't develop similar problems to Dolly, the cloned sheep.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade

actually, i looked this story up. the tabby was just a surrogate mother. the kitten was cloned from a brown tabby cat that has the same markings as the kitten.

heres the pic of the cat that was cloned (on the left) and the surrogate mom with the cloned kitten (right).
WHAT. STEPHEN FRY LIED TO ME.

Curse you, QI!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Cat

I still don't understand the fascination that people have with cloning animals. I can't help but wonder if they had that kind of money why not just donate it to a rescue or do something more productive with it?

The whole "it doesn't have the same markings" thing isn't surprising. It happens in the horse world so I'm sure it could happen with anything cloned. Look at the deference between Charmayne James' Scamper and his clone Clayton. Scamper was a Quarter Horse gelding who did extremely well in barrel racing competitions but of course couldn't be used as a breeding animal, so they cloned him. Completely different markings because the cells that make up the markings move around as the foal develops in the womb, its all based on randomness and the environment the fetus is in.

Clayton (the clone) http://www.charmaynejames.com/stalli...es/clayton.jpg
Scamper (the original) http://www.windstormranch.com/images...ernobridle.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page