A short saga and help me name my new kitty... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

A short saga and help me name my new kitty...

Well, I spent time at the Humane Society on Fri, Sat, Mon, Wed, and today auditioning kitties to bring home with me. Up to today I had spent time with about 15 various cats. It's tough trying to get a true idea of a cat's personality in those surroundings, because of the noise level, the unfamiliar surroundings, their constantly being poked and prodded, etc.

There were a few that were quite lovely, and some whose temperments were not a match at all.

A few of the "applicants" for the position:

First there was Josie who I originally referred to in this thread. A sweetie, but her morbid obesity scared me. I think the photo below was carefully positioned to not show the extent of her size.

Then there was Marty who actually is quite fat as well, has some matting issues, and got aggravated quite quickly when you attempted to pet him. It's a shame, because he has the potential to be a gorgeous kitty.

Siam was a little aloof, although he did occasionally like to have his side petted. Very shrill voice... very VERY Siamese.

Jake is a handsome cat, but he plays VERY rough and is quick to get hyper. I need someone a bit more complacent.

Jasper has the potential to be a great lap cat. You have to be very careful around him, because he's easily startled, somewhat skittish, and will run and hide under the couch in the communal room he lives in. If you get him at the right time though, he'll roll over and let you pet his tummy, purring loudly. I actually spent some time with him and lifted him onto my chest and got him to settle down, and he started kneading my arm while purring loudly. He's got a bit of snaggletooth action going on, which makes him look like he's sneering at times.

Cotton was sweet... in a thoroughly pitiful way. I suspect he came from an abusive environment. If you reached out to pet him he would flinch away violently, but then would reach out and nuzzle you. Very timid cat though; never purred in the half hour or so I spent with him. So sad.

Oliver was probably the runner up in my auditions. A VERY affectionate cat on springs. If you pet his back, he jumps and arches his back up to meet you; if you reach down to pet his head, he'll jump up. Somewhat of a lap cat, but not overly so. The only downside was in the hour I spent with him he never meowed or purred; a silent kitty. He was obviously happy, but no purr. I've gotta have a purr installed on my cats; it's mandatory.

And the winner, who will be coming home with me tomorrow is the guy below, currently named "Hope"... which is a girl's name. Apparently the previous owners had let the children name the cats, so the boy was named Hope and the girl was named Ralph. Go figure.

He is most definitely a lap cat. He likes to snuggle, also likes to climb up onto my chest or shoulder. He started nuzzling my nose while purring loudly. The most affectionate of all the cats I spent time with. According to the shelter he's 1 year and 7 months old.

He looks very similar to my Tweetie, perhaps just a bit darker orange/amber in color.

So what do I name him?

The names I've seen for orange cats that I've liked thus far:

Crush (as in Orange Crush)
Amaretto
Cheetos
Mandarin

Which of these do you like, or do you have other name suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Re: A short saga and help me name my new kitty...

Something about Crush... I just like it.

Oh, how I wish we could save them all. ALL of those kitties are adorable! But "Hope" seems like the perfect match for you. I can tell you are going to be quite happy with your choice (but not as happy as he'll be I'm sure!)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

I think I'm in love with Marty!!!!!

I like the name Crush, it's different, and funny because you'd think it would be a name for a St. Bernard or something that could actually squash you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Premier Cat

I also liked "Crush" and didn't particularly care for the others. Our orange kitties are/were named: BooBoo (totally not color-related), Marmalade and Reilly. Also, Marmy's original name was Finian, Marmalade became the nickname-that-stuck.

....and I'm really liking Oliver. His head-to-meet-hand is totally Squirrely-Jo and his back-arched-on-springs is Louie and Mousie.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh

My cat Whisky is just like Jasper. We've had him for almost a year now (he's 2.5) and he's really come around. He's still rather skittish sometimes though and will run away at the slightest sound, but he'll come out again almost straight away. He's very affectionate and will flop onto his side for you to pet his tummy. And he purrs like a storm!

Anyway, I think you've made the right choice for you I like the name Crush too (it's unexpected and unique) - but don't cats have an easier time responding to two syllable names? Perhaps Crusher? I could be wrong though!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Crusher is even better (and funnier)!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Premier Cat

Your man is a wonderful choice. I like the name Crush because it sounds like you have a crush on him

I like Marty as well since I tend to like long haired kitties with attitudes

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Premier Cat

Crush is a beatiful kitty! If only you could take them all. I feel like they should offer the kitties a course on getting adopted....."Achieve Your Goals Through Purring!" They have no idea what traits we find appealing, but it makes such a huge difference.

I've never really heard that cats do better with 2 syllables in their names. No matter what you name him, you'll probably give him nicknames anyway. My Murphy is "Murph" about 90% of the time.

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via MSN to tanyuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
I've never really heard that cats do better with 2 syllables in their names. No matter what you name him, you'll probably give him nicknames anyway. My Murphy is "Murph" about 90% of the time.
Very true!

"Good Kitty, Samhainy."
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Premier Cat

I vote Crush also- great name- makes me think of a cold orange crush on a hot summer day!

My heart goes out to Marty.. I have his two cousins at my house- Theyve been with me a year and no one will even consider them! They are gorgeous looking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page