Cat Forum banner

Age Limit to Adopt?

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  marymowry 
#1 ·
Do cat and dog foundations have an age limit for applicants? I'm 22 and I already sent in adoption form 4 weeks ago for cat on Petfinder. I have not heard back. The reason I ask this is because I remember trying to adopt a cat when I was younger and they said you need to be at least 24 years old.

#3 ·
It depends on how often the organization check thier email. Some rescues are all volunteer so they do it after they are done working their day jobs.

Is there a phone number for the rescue or the particular cat? We would adopt to someone who is 22. Wed make sure you understood this is a life long commitment. Some rescues get nervous about adopting to a student since their life is unpredicatable.

A wonderful young man adopted a cat that I fostered from our TNR group. We asked how he would handle keeping the cat if he was going home for the summer. How much experience does he have caring for a cat. Did he grow up with pets. We call all our adopters to see how things are going right after the adoption and then a few months after that

We heard from him about a year ago and he sent us a donation saying thank you for adopting to me the best cat ever. It was very sweet and reassuring to hear from him. I would adopt again to a student. Age doesnt matter. It is the commitment and attitude.

#4 ·
it depends on the rescue and their individual rules (and some have a crapton of rules!). i've worked with some that would adopt to 16 year olds, but only with parental signatures on the contract (so technically, it was mom/dad doing the adopting). 18 is the limit for most i've worked with. one or two required adopters be over 21. 24 seems a bit extreme to me.

i wouldn't get too discouraged yet. like the previous poster said, most rescues are run entirely by volunteers who have families, jobs, and lives. it sometimes takes a while to get all the emails responded to. how long has it been since you emailed them? if it's been- i'd say- about a week, the cat you're interested in is still listed as available, maybe try sending a polite follow-up email, saying you were worried they didn't receive your original inquiry or something along those lines.

good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.