Age Limit to Adopt? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Age Limit to Adopt?

Do cat and dog foundations have an age limit for applicants? I'm 22 and I already sent in adoption form 4 weeks ago for cat on Petfinder. I have not heard back. The reason I ask this is because I remember trying to adopt a cat when I was younger and they said you need to be at least 24 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM
Tom Cat

Re: Age Limit to Adopt?

I don't think there is a limit, but I'm sure it depends on the organisation that you're trying to adopt from. I was approved to adopt a cat at 18.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If anyone asks, I'm studying.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Premier Cat

It depends on how often the organization check thier email. Some rescues are all volunteer so they do it after they are done working their day jobs.

Is there a phone number for the rescue or the particular cat? We would adopt to someone who is 22. Wed make sure you understood this is a life long commitment. Some rescues get nervous about adopting to a student since their life is unpredicatable.

A wonderful young man adopted a cat that I fostered from our TNR group. We asked how he would handle keeping the cat if he was going home for the summer. How much experience does he have caring for a cat. Did he grow up with pets. We call all our adopters to see how things are going right after the adoption and then a few months after that

We heard from him about a year ago and he sent us a donation saying thank you for adopting to me the best cat ever. It was very sweet and reassuring to hear from him. I would adopt again to a student. Age doesnt matter. It is the commitment and attitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Cat

it depends on the rescue and their individual rules (and some have a crapton of rules!). i've worked with some that would adopt to 16 year olds, but only with parental signatures on the contract (so technically, it was mom/dad doing the adopting). 18 is the limit for most i've worked with. one or two required adopters be over 21. 24 seems a bit extreme to me.

i wouldn't get too discouraged yet. like the previous poster said, most rescues are run entirely by volunteers who have families, jobs, and lives. it sometimes takes a while to get all the emails responded to. how long has it been since you emailed them? if it's been- i'd say- about a week, the cat you're interested in is still listed as available, maybe try sending a polite follow-up email, saying you were worried they didn't receive your original inquiry or something along those lines.

good luck!

NIKKI
proud mama to one kid, two dogs, three elderly ferrets, and a mischief of girly rats.
kimo kawaii- the red and white sphynx boy
sol- the fluffy "anti-kimo" rescue boy
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Jr. Cat

I've never heard of a specific limit at any of the shelters I've gone too, other than the implicit over-18 ones, but I suppose it could vary from shelter to shelter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page