cats are scratching my tree trunks - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

cats are scratching my tree trunks

My neighbor has 2 outdoor cats and they are scratching the bark from both of our weeping willow trees. What can we do to stop them without harming the trees or the cats?
We have elm,oak,maple and other assorted trees and they don't scratch these; only the willows.
Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 PM
Premier Cat

Re: cats are scratching my tree trunks

You can put tree wrap on the trunk, or put up a netting around the trunk so that they can't get to the tree to harm it. They are often used to protect a tree from deer, but it should work for kitties too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Cat

I don't know how well this will work but I heard it works alright in keeping kitties from scratching indoor items, maybe it will work for the trees. It is basically double sided tape, cats don't like feeling the adhesive material on their paws. They have some brand names like Sticky Paws. Or maybe just good 'ol duct tape wrapped on itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Premier Cat

Put a chicken-wire ring around the base of the tree to a height of at least three feet. You want it to be just a bit larger circumference* than the trunk so it doesn't bind the tree as it grows. If the cat tries to reach the trunk it will encounter the chicken wire, which will sort of rock and tip around the tree and they can't get any purchase on the bark through the moving chicken wire barrier.

*make the circle of wire around the trunk big enough for you to fit your arm between the trunk and wire when you stretch/pull the wire to one side.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the great ideas and quick response. I will give them a try. Thanks again to all of you and have a nice weekend.
You've all been a great help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

You are welcome, and come back to let us know what you used and how what you tried did (or didn't) work.

I wish I'd done something to protect my Royal Paulownia Tomentosa tree from my horse. That young filly *girdled* it by eating all the bark off it.
My tree was only 3-4yrs old and about 16' tall when she killed it.
I will get some more and plant them *outside* the horse corral.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page