Self Medicating..... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Self Medicating.....

Hi, I have made several posts and read more than a hundred on this forum. At first I was worried about my mother cat when she had kittens, I thought she may have retained a placenta, which was not the case. Then, I was trying to figure out why my white kitten's ears and tails were getting what I know now to be color points.

What I haven't said much about is my inability to take the kittens and mother to the vet. My husband and I are currently unemployed. My unemployment was just turned down and the only money we get is from helping my father clean out the garage.

I found the mother, a Manx, outside early this winter. She was starved but extremely affectionate. She started following me around and meowing a soft trill every time I went outside. I couldn't help but give her some food. My father then told me to get her in the car and drive 10 miles away and drop her off. I was so sad....... I kelp putting it off. I would act like I was in a hurry or that I didn't know where she was at the time..... I would have taken her to the county shelter, but out here there are sooo many stray animals and not enough people in the county to adopt them. I didn't want her to get put down just because she couldn't get adopted. I love cats, but have not had one since I was a child. Several years ago I had the chance to get a cat or small dog. My husband wanted a dog... So we got my little silky/poodle/other terrier mix. (But that is a whole story in itself and I know you don't really want to hear about my dog in a cat forum) Her name is Charsi. I really wanted a cat, but we couldn't afford both. Then 1 year later my best friend rescued a Bichon Frise from a home where he was kept outside and not groomed. She couldn't keep him and Charsi was lonely so we adopted Cotton. Both of them are really good with cats. We had a roommate with a cat and they were so friendly they played together all the time.
So, back to the tabby Manx I named Reya. My best friend knew about Reya and the fact I really couldn't afford to keep her because I needed to get a litter box, litter, a scoop, a scratch pad, toys and food. She decided to buy them all for me, she is so sweet. BTW, Reya gets along with Charsi and Cotton well. She is not really the type to play with them even with provocation from Cotton lol. But, I can hold Reya with her belly up, and she never bites or scratches me She is very sweet.
So, I brought Reya inside, she got out several times during the adjustment period, but always came back. I thought she was fixed because she never seemed in heat, then once it really started getting cold she stopped trying to get out and was very affectionate. I was feeding her kitten food to try to get her to gain weight, and she was.... Then I noticed her nipples were pink. Then I knew... We were going to have kittens!
I had done everything I could possibly think of to get her the vitamins she needed for her her pregnancy. She was healthy and pretty well groomed even for carrying a litter of 6. I did hours and hours of research on what I should do before, during, and after pregnancy. I believe I did everything right. She had the kittens, no hard labor but it took about 6 hours for all of them to come. I was so excited. I followed all the procedures and made sure everything went well, at first I was worried about Reya retaining a placenta, but she was fine. She just wasn't ready to eat for like 48 hours after giving birth. I gave her some canned food in a bowl I put in the nest and she ate it all then I would remove the bowl, I did that for 5 days. Now she is back to eating dry kitten food. I supplement it with some items from the raw foods section to give her a good amount of vitamins from raw She is doing really well, but is still a bit skinny, I'm guessing she will not gain any weight until the kittens are weened. I know many cat lovers but they have told me they cannot afford an entire litter of kittens so I am willing to do my best.

Now to the self-medicating section. At 7 days 1 kitten had a pus filled abscess on the umbilical cord/belly button. I knew I needed to take it to the vet, but I looked up all the grants for animal care and I still would have had to pay for the visit and the antibiotics. I have some Clavamox pills left over from when my dogs had a small URI, I actually didn't even give them the antibiotics, because it cleared up on it's own. So I had plenty left over and they weren't expired yet. So I crushed up 3 of them, created a solution where 3 drops was 3.125mg and gave the kitten 1 drop every 12 hours for 3 days so far. I also put Neosporin on the abscess for 2 days until it was gone and no swelling present. I am very happy with the results and the kitten seems very healthy. Now I have another kitten with an eye infection, and since he is a little bit bigger I give him 2 drops every 12 hours and I clean the eye with warm water on a soft towel every couple of hours. It seems to be going away. I want to know what everyone thinks of this. I did a lot of research about the amount of Clavamox to give and how often. I know I am no substitute for the vet, but I don't want any fading kittens. I will post pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Self Medicating.....

there are so many people who are unemployed and want to keep their pets and need help right now. Why not reach out to a rescue to help you? They have the connections and they are there to help.

Just want to comment on the eye issue. Try some Terramycin ointment. It can be bought on the internet. Most rescue have tubes of the ointment on hand. I know I ususally buy 12 at a time just to have around when we need it. Kittens can go blind from eye infections or URI settling in their nose and eyes. Its nothing to fool around with. these infections have life time results if they arent gotten under control quickly.

I know its hard when your unemployed. the best thing you can do is network with animal rescue groups in your areas to help out. Our TNR group even rescued a dog a couple weeks ago. We had it vetted with a wellness check with blood work because it had a mass on it front right side, another no kill shelter put it up for adoption, it was adopted and the shelter paid for surgery for the portion of the vet bill to have tumor removed. Were all pitching in during these hard times. Dont be afraid to ask for help. Then when you get on your feet again pay it forward. Or volunteer to help out at the rescue which reaches out to you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

You have some wonderful ideas. I know there are not any no-kill shelters around here. My best friend fostered a 1 owner cat named Charlie that we nick-named 'Osama' because he was so mean to everyone except the original owner. The original owner finally said there was no way she would be able to keep the kitty any longer and to find someone to adopt the kitty. But, because he was so mean we knew that was not going to happen. We tried for months to find him a home or find a no-kill shelter around Atlanta. There are none. Finally we found a shelter who would take him but if he didn't calm down he wouldn't get adopted and then possibly euthanized. We had no choice but to give him up. My best friend had 6 cats and Charlie would fight all of them, so there was no real way to keep him, plus he was mean to all humans. We don't know what happened to him, but I don't ever want to have to give up an animal to a shelter like that again.

I will try to find a rescue that will help. Thanks, I will also try to get some terramycin too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Premier Cat

If you are living in the surround area of Atlanta Im possitive there are many many no kill shelters and rescue groups available to help you. Do a little digging around. Search the internet, call and talk to people at the shelter and rescues. Tell them your circumstance. If you are proactive you can find help.

When we first started our cat TNR group we recieved an email from a man who had a german shepherd he rescued and it was pregnant and had puppies. He was wheel chair bound and ended up in the hospital. He contaced EVERY rescue in Arizona to please help him by taking this dog since he wasnt able to care for her anyone. We were the only one to respond even though were a cat group. By him being proactive and not giving up but contacting everyone he could find he got results.

The puppies were all adopted out. The mother german shepherd found a wonderful responsible home. I bumped in to the couple who adopted her later and they gush over how great this dog was and how in love they were with her! There is help and happy endings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page