How easy is it to go from a 1 to 2 cat household? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

How easy is it to go from a 1 to 2 cat household?

I so very much want a second cat and plan to get one. Snowy is 3 years old, very playful, and a real attention hog. We got him from the shelter at 1 year old, he supposedly lived with other cats before. One day, when I played with him in the condo hallway, he ran into another cat that was also exploring the halls, he balled up (you know, with all four feet scrunched close together), ears went back, and he growled loudly and hissed. The other cat was from a two cat household and originally very cautiously wanted to greet Snowy out of curiosity and was confused at Snowy's remarks. I understand this should not be surprising behavior. But is this a bad sign that he may not be suitable to have a housemate?

How successful have people generally been in going from a one to two cat household in such circumstances? btw, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make it work if it will benefit Snowy (i.e. he will have a companion). I have a lot of patience, hey, I took an entire month to train him for teeth brushings and now he gets brushed every day like everyone else at home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Re: How easy is it to go from a 1 to 2 cat household?

Here's a site with great information:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

And there's a wonderful book called "cat vs. cat" by Pam Johnson-Bennett. You can buy it used on the Internet for about $4.00.

But there are no guarantees, so only get a second cat if YOU want another cat, because you may end up with two cats who don't become friends, like Cinderella and Cleo. Most introductions turn out well, but you just never know.

And usually, the new cat picks you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 AM
Premier Cat

I have found that intro-ing kittens to adult cats usually go the smoothest. This is because the kitten has not met with much resistance in its' short life, everybody loves them, and they don't *understand* what the hissy adult is telling them so they just keep on trying to get them to play: Hey! A cat! You wanna play? *hiss* Oh, not right now? *hiss* How about now? *hiss* Hmmm, how about if I turn around and show you my left side, NOW do you wanna play? *hiss* How about now? *hiss* I'll run to the couch and run back, wanna play now? *hiss* How about now, is now good?
...they keep bombarding the adult cat and eventually the cat just gives in and says 'whatever', then they learn how to have fun together.

BUT, you really need to have a kitty that doesn't CARE about the other cat following and hissing at it everytime it turns around.
Let me go see if I can find a recent video someone posted about their adult cat meeting a kitten for the first time and (IMO) the intro was going VERY WELL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:48 AM
Premier Cat

Found them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadedea Jade
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66182
here are some videos. we just *staged* it to see if she would have the same reaction. minus the slightly aggressive 3-paw-slaps shes acting the same way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4TBSlkUulo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB4W64MtlFk

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Here is my diary of my most recent intro, of baby Jonah to resident cats Lincoln and Calvin (plus 3 dogs):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62659&hilit=jonah+introduction

I've used this method several times and it's worked great every time. IMO slow and steady wins the race. Some folks may have luck w/ faster methods, but it really only takes one bad experience to sour things.

If the resident cat has never lived w/ other cats since kittenhood, you may want to reconsider. In my experience, it's those cats who can't handle friends. Cats who have developed social skills, both in the litter and afterwards, usually adapt well to new cat friends if the intro is handled carefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page