Bonding with 2 kitties at the same time - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Bonding with 2 kitties at the same time

Me again.

I was wondering, how do you encourage human/cat bonding when you've adopted 2 cats that are well-bonded to each other?

Our cats have settled in well to their new home, but I'm having some issues with their bonding with me. Bella is very friendly and happily followed me about and sat beside me at night when I worked on the computer. Her sister Cricket would play with me but she chose my dad to bond with at night for cuddlings. (Go to his bedroom, follow him about, seek out his petting.)

Lately Cricket has decided she wants all the places her sister inhabited with me. So she takes the chair beside me at night and pushes her sister away. If I start a game with Bella, she takes over, turning the game into a sibling wrestling match and chase while I'm left holding a suddenly uninteresting toy. If I pet Bella, Cricket decides she wants to groom her. If I give Bella a treat, Cricket zooms in and eats it first. If I call Bella, Cricket chirps at her and off she runs.

Cricket doesn't like me to pet her. And now I find Bella is sleeping under chairs instead of hanging out with the humans. She's much friendlier when her sister is not around influencing her. It's really irritating me. I'm trying to befriend Cricket and show her love & attention, but she clearly doesn't want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Bonding with 2 kitties at the same time

I find that my twins go through phases. I couldn't keep them off my lap when I first got them, but now Charlee is my only lap cat. Cali will crawl onto my lap on rare occasions. Charlee is my toy hog. I can be playing with Cleo or Cali, and she can hear it from two rooms away and will charge into the room and take over.

Sometimes I feel like they live in their own little world and don't need me at all. Other times, like this weekend, Cali has been my little shadow and wants lots of attention.

Cricket and Bella will probably switch between humans and each other and back again. I think it's normal.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page