The deal with Rescue Remedy? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

The deal with Rescue Remedy?

I'm having a very difficult cat intro. An 8 yr old to two 9mos olds. There is absolutely no option in giving either one up. They were doing well for the last 3 weeks. However, the 8 yr old regressed and physically pounced one of the kittens (don't worry the kitten is actually larger than the 8 yr old) and no damage was done. It was just a warning strike most likely bc the kitten was too close unexpectedly. I heard some things about RR and I was wondering what the deal was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Re: The deal with Rescue Remedy?

I have not tried any of the three most commonly recommended products; Feliway, Composure Liquid and Rescue Remedy. Several members here, members whom I highly respect, and they have reported amazing results. So, while I haven't used them, I do believe they work.

There is a slight issue with Feliway, regarding the phenomena of some cats not being affected by CatNip, some cats are also not affected by Feliway, though when it does affect the cat it works wonderfully. CL and RR are two products that can be used together and over a period of time, say 2-3 weeks, the cat becomes more mellow, relaxed and tolerant. I know Mitts & Tess (Merry) has had fabulous results with her fosters by using both products and I am having a brain-seize moment and cannot recall the names of other members who have used them.

In general, it does sound as if CL/RR therapy could benefit your 8yr old to help ease the adjustment tensions of accepting the new kitties.
Best of luck!
heidi =^..^=

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:42 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

How bad was the pounce? Were they moaning, growling, pupils dilated, claws drawn for maximum damage? My own cats get into little "spats" from time to time. If the youngsters annoy the older ones, sometimes they give them a little warning, and as long as its under control and no one is actually seriously hurting anyone else, I would let them work it out.

You say they've been together for some time already? Is the older cat stalking, hissing, growling, or looking for trouble with the younger ones? If there isn't any serious aggression, it's really nothing to worry about. Cats have disagreements, and get crabby with each other sometimes, just like we do. I'm not surprised an older cat would lay a bit of smack down on a younger one, to "keep them in line" so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Jr. Cat

defiantly try feliway. It worked great when I introduced are 1 and 2 yr olds to our 5 yr old cat. And it made them more comfortable in house quicker too. It worked again for us when I introduced our 6 month old kitten to the rest of our kittties. Give it a try. Best of luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My kitties are just my furry children!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, I think I am going to be RR or Feliway for now. I wanted to use it on all three cats so everyone mellows and learns to associate the others with relaxed feelings. (Can they be used together?)
RachandNito...
It was definitely a warning pounce. There were no claws just a pounce and swat. She hissed after but I separated them into different rooms immediately. They've been interacting for the last 2 1/2 weeks. There is still hissing on the 8 yr olds part occasionally. The reason she pounced is definitely from fear. My poor cat has been through a tremendous amount of trauma during the last month. She is most likely extremely scared of the elder kitten (like I said the kitten is larger than she is). However, the elder kitten is constantly being submissive and laying down near her as to show she isn't a threat (it's so sweet). But, of course, she's still a kitten and LOVES to play and get into everyone's space. The older one doesn't stalk. Its actually the kitten that stalks which scares her a bit. I would've let them work it out but the kittens are really sensitive. They are glued together and, although they rough house and play, have never been violent towards one another. Having a random new cat start hissing and swatting really scares the kittens. I am also worried if I let the older cat pounce when she wants, her behavior could esculate to actual threatening aggression. I just want all of them to be happy.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Premier Cat

My understanding is Feliway, Composure Liquid and Rescue Remedy can all be used at the same time.

...some cats are not affected by the Feliway. I think it is in the same manner as how some cats are not affected by catnip. It isn't too common, but it does happen...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

I see. Well, at least it's not true aggression. It never hurts to use caution, and prevent a problem before it escalates! But from the way you describe it, I don't think you need to worry yourself sick. The kittens will learn to 'take the hint' after the oldest cat makes it clear what her personal bubble of acceptable space is.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you! I bought a Feliway plug in and some calming treats (RR and the CL werent at the pet store so I'll order them online if things don't improve). I agree. I'll just let them deal with their issues as long as there isn't any real danger
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

Oooh-oooh-oooh! Please let us know how everything works!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Premier Cat

Spirit Essence you can put on the skin of the cat. Bach Essence you have to put in water is what I understand. I haven't found the treats to be effective. But I have seen immediate results when using Composure Liquid by Vetri Science.

Your cats may be working out whose in charge. If there weren't claws being used it might be one cat putting another cat in its place. Older cats teach younger cats the cat rules. That could of been what was going on.

Unless its constantly picking on one cat or claws and blood are happening I wouldn't worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page