Rico on the lam - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
Rico on the lam

I just got a call from my little sister. Rico (Cinder's littermate) got outside this morning. And they haven't been able to find him ever since. She's very upset about it, and I've been doing my best to comfort her and give her encouraging words.

Rico goes outside all the time. Their neighborhood is very safe. But he never stays out more than an hour or two. And he always comes when he is called.

Their neighbors had spotted him around 4 PM today, fooling and prancing around in their bushes, acting frisky and crazy. They thought nothing of it- they are often visited by my parents' cats. My guess is that with this beautiful weather Wisconsin suddenly got, he's out on an adventure and enjoying the day. He was wearing his collar and ID. If someone finds him, they'll be able to contact my sister. I'm hoping he'll just return home once he's had his fill of fun.

Please say a prayer just in case. My sister is young and she's really upset and worried sick about him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Rico on the lam

Paws are crossed that Mr. Rico gets his fill of spring soon and then gets his butt on home! Please send hugs to your sister.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank's Leazie. I'll send Lizzy your encouraging words, and a virtual hug. Oh, how I wish I could drive all the way home and help them look! But you know how it is... he's a teenager. He's fully of naughtiness and trouble. And if he doesn't want to be found, then he's not going to be until he's good and ready.

I was visiting just yesterday and me, my three sisters, and my sister's boyfriend took Chica, her littermate Kovie, half brother Rico, and Kovie's new little brother Binks (recently adopted, not related while the other three share a mom) on a hike. They stuck with us quite amazingly, and we went for about 2.5 miles, all the while they explored the woods, climbed on logs- had a blast. I'm sure that's where this sudden burst of adventurousness has stemmed from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

I hope this link helps. There is a step by step method and some other ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7722

In the meantime, I pray that Rico comes home soon.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Jeanie. If he doesn't show up by tonight, I will get my family started on these methods. And if he isn't found by tomorrow morning, I've decided to go back home to my parent's house and join in the search. I love all the cats in my family very much, and I would be very heart broken to lose him!

My mom so far is pretty non-chalant. She's the big 'let the cats outside' advocate, and says that Rico has spent plenty of 5-7 hour days outside while the kids are at school. She is sure he'll return. She's very optimistic, and I knew she wouldn't want to do it, so I went ahead and called the Janesville emergency vet, just in case he was injured, HBC, or something, and got taken in. They told me they've had a slow night, and no cats have been brought in. The kindly took down my number and will call me straight away if a cat of his description shows up. I really think he's just out exploring though, and I won't start thinking negatively just yet. My parents have always let their cats out, like I said, my childhood neighborhood is quite safe and sheltered.

Now we wait.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Cat

Cats always seem to want to go on a wander in March and April. Usually before it gets really nice but just after the winter thaw. Drives me nuts!

Our Peppermint always went out for a day or so to explore and hunt wildlife. We'd worry ourselves sick. But we'd leave the porchlight on, call out to her periodically, and she'd turn up just as we were heading up to bed. If the door was closed she'd meow for us to let her in. Oddly, she always went out through the garage but came back through the porch.

Hopefully Rico will come back soon. if it's safe for him, then chances are he'll return like nothing happened. Kitties just love to be naughty sometimes. Curioisty is their downfall.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

Rach, she's probably close to home, so be sure to tell your sister to sit outside in the wee hours!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Cats always seem to want to go on a wander in March and April. Usually before it gets really nice but just after the winter thaw. Drives me nuts!
Totally! Their other cat, Elfie (13 years old, and much more street smart than foolish Rico), hasn't come inside since yesterday morning. Crazy cat would rather spend the night curled up on top of my dad's car than sleep in a cozy soft bed. The old man sticks around the house though, and currently can be seen perched on the fence dividing their yard from my neighbor's. Perhaps he is on the lookout for Rico too.

I have a pretty good feeling he is in said neighbor's yard. They have a really big deck that the cats just love to get under neath. The only access is through one small cat-sized hole, so it's hard to get under there to really look. It's getting dark now, and they've been calling for him periodically. He's bound to get hungry soon.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Cat

This is one reason I hate getting attached to animals, especially cats. I love 'em but they sure are stubborn creatures.

Peppermint absolutely refused to come back inside until she was darn good and ready. She only did it once a year though. The rest of the time we worried she'd bolt outside but she never did. Then that one day you thought she wouldn't want to be bothered, she'd wait for you to go outside then hop over your leg before you knew she was even there. You'd spot her and warn her to get back inside. She'd look you straight in the eye and take off the other way. Defiant little beast. After a few hours of looking for her everywhere, worrying up a storm and cursing her for putting me through that torture I'd decide to head to bed and just let her fend for herself. Then she'd meow at the porch door and I'd run to let her in. She'd get love, attention, petting and treats. Maybe that's why she did it. She knew she could have an adventure and get a warm reception when she decided to come home.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What a heartwarming little story. That stinker! My mom's other cat, Rusty, loves to bolt outside. Then he'll sit at the back door, pawing at the glass. If you open the door, he gets all wild eyed and bolts off. It's a game to him. My dad gets soo mad when he does that. But the madder dad gets, the more fun Rusty has.

My mom just texted me. Still no sign of him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page