Escape! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Escape!

Figured you'd all like a little story about Ender, my Maine Coon. You see, he reallllllly loves the outdoors... so much so that he's devised crafty means of getting outside whenever he can.

The kids (Ender and Valentine) and I just moved to a new place, and I have a roommate, Alan, who's new to cats. He's especially new to clever cats. I warned him about Ender's ability to find his way outside, and he promised to be careful.

Alan was doing his laundry this afternoon out back, in the fenced back porch. The fence is a good eight feet high, and Ender was loudly begging to be let out, so Alan figured, "What's the harm? He's fenced in." He let Ender into the yard with him and turned to put his clothes in the washing machine.

When he turned back around, he saw no sign of Ender; the crafty feline had somehow escaped entirely!

Alan and I walked around the block looking for him, including walking through the backyard outside the fence, and that's where we heard him mewing right near the back of the house. While we stared at the eight-foot fence surrounding our yard, Ender suddenly popped to the top of it... on the neighbor's side.

He saw me and leapt down and came toward us, yowling to be saved. As we took him back into the house, Alan apologized for letting him out and "losing" him, but I brushed it off, telling him, "Ender can be very persuasive."

Mundane story, but it livened our afternoons a bit.

And, to make this worth your while, here's a picture of Ender in his papasan, looking intensely pleased with himself after his escapade:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Escape!

He is so gorgeous, just stunning! We haven't seen nearly enough pictures of him!

Remember, if he turns up missing, he's still in San Diego. With a little harem.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Premier Cat

Aaaaaahhhhh, he is beautiful and reminds me of my Dusty-kitty(RB).

Your 8' fence sounds great and I wonder if you could make an addition to the top to keep the kitties in the yard and be able to allow them safely out into the porch area?

Angled L-shape: L-shape:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Premier Cat

Jumped an 8' fence. Thats impressive! Loved the smug look on his face.

Guess your roomie is in for an education about cats. Cant wait to hear of the next
clever thing Ender does!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 AM
Premier Cat

Cheeky monkey!

He is just gorgeous. I've always wondered if cats love those papasan chairs. They actually look like the perfect cat bed, especially for larger cats. Does he love it?

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He loves his papasan! And he fits quite well in it.

By popular demand, here are more pictures from today's morning/afternoon nap:

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Premier Cat

He is just gorgeous!!

How big is your fenced in area? If it is small you could put netting over the entire area to allow your kitties access to the outside.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm not sure that's feasible, I'm afraid. It's sort of a condo complex, and I don't think our neighbors would appreciate that. Besides, I only rent a room here, and I don't want to put the owner out.

Maybe I'll put tape on the ledge near the top of the fence. Think that'd perturb him enough not to try it again?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by talashira
Maybe I'll put tape on the ledge near the top of the fence. Think that'd perturb him enough not to try it again?
No. If he can jump from floor to top, or even mostly to the top with a little scrape-and-pull-of-the-claws to reach the top, tape won't stop him reaching the top and going over.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

D'oh.

Well, I've tried the leash thing, and he didn't take to it. I guess he'll just have to learn to like being an indoor cat!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page