Door Dasher - now with pictures! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Door Dasher - now with pictures!

My problem is a feral who wants IN!

Only one of the ferals is brave enough to actually try to force his way in my house every night when I open the door. Sometimes when I leave in the mornings, too. It breaks my heart! Today he let me pet him all over for the first time. The ferals hang out on my porch and my girls watch them from the windows.

Right now, the little crew has been narrowed down to the brave orangie, Mr. Morris (my neighbor who feeds them gave him that name), an adorable little black and white kitty, and a tortie. I opened the space beneath the house for them so they have a safe, dry place, and they have two of my girls' soft cubes. My neighbor feeds them dry food every night, and they get wet food from me several times a week. They're the best fed ferals in San Diego!

I can't even open the front door for the girls when he's around because he wants to come nose-to-nose with them, and I'm afraid he may pass a disease that way.

But he cries and cries to get in my house until I close the front door. And he almost tripped me several times on my steps wrapping himself around me.

I'd like to trap all three and get them fixed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Cool Cat

Re: Door Dasher

Marie, do you know anything about this group?

http://www.feralcat.com/faq.html

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

=(^.^)= Elsie
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I do know about them, but thanks for the link - they apparently have traps that can be borrowed for free. My vet fixes ferals for free, also. Our on-site manager said he was working with a group to get them fixed, so I keep waiting. But their numbers are dwindling and I'm afraid to ask why. I do know some of the ferals were trapped and then fostered to tame them, and then they were given new homes. I guess I was hoping for the same for these little ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Premier Cat

Any desire to make Mr. Morris one of your cats? He seems to be trying to tell you something.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October
Any desire to make Mr. Morris one of your cats?
In situations like this, I think cat-lovers really need to be careful. What you describe is exactly how I wound up with a DOZEN cats in our home. It is very easy to get sucked into the 'oh-what-is-one-more-gonna-harm?' mode and then find yourself stretched too thin. We currently have eight and I am certainly NOT looking to add to our numbers, in fact, I would like for them to decrease naturally and that I *not* replace them with more ... but I also know that if my husband or I come across a cat-in-need, it is going in our bathroom to be cared for and chances are high we would end up keeping it, too. Cat-lovers need to be careful.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 PM
Premier Cat

Maybe Mr. Morris could go live at your neighbor's house, altho I do have to say taht he has very good taste to be trying to get in a house with such pretty girls

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Premier Cat

Marie you are such a softie.. wet food and cubes to sleep in!

If I were you I wouldnt wait for the TNR group to trap these guys. I encourage you to do it. You can set the trap and watch it. The TNR group will have to come back and keep checking.. sometimes a cat is in a trap hours before anyone knows. You could trap and get them to your vet asap! Plus you could ask them to check to see if they had felv or fiv so you wouldnt have to worry. The other tnr group most likely wont do that.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I'll ask my vet tomorrow when I pick up my little girl's ashes.

As much as I'd like to, I really can't take on another cat right now. But it would be fun to see someone put the twins in their place!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73
I'll ask my vet tomorrow when I pick up my little girl's ashes.

As much as I'd like to, I really can't take on another cat right now. But it would be fun to see someone put the twins in their place!
Hey my blind kitties could easily do that!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

One of my "regulars" was a beautiful black cat with white paws, and I really wanted to keep him! He was gorgeous and so sweet. However, he was in good condition, so I was sure he belonged to someone in the neighborhood, and I didin't want to steal him.

Later, I discovered that a young women had abandoned the house she was renting....and the 25 cats she had. Those who were outside lived, and the others did not. My guest had stopped coming when I found out--months later. I wish I had known.

I hope your little friend finds a home and gets the care he needs. I know you and your neighbor will take care of that group!

There are many organizations that will help with spaying and neutering!

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page