Housecleaning and cats - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Housecleaning and cats

Day 2 of the Great House Cleaning Project

It was just supposed to involve clearing out a bedroom, then 2, and has sprung into an entire house cleaning of 30 years worth of junk. So far our kitties are faring well with it all.

Bella takes up guard duty in the patio room. A room filled with glass windows with an outdoor/indoor view. Cricket hides under the nearest chair, table, corner and watches.

We relocated their stuff this afternoon because we had to start working in the Laundry Room. But they handled it well. Bella followed her food and box through the house to the bathroom. Then her sister followed her.

I think they enjoyed having the house to themselves after the chaos of the day. When dinnertime rolled around, they each came out looking for food from me. Even those big scary men walking around didn't phase them.

Now they're surveying all the new space in their playroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Housecleaning and cats

Theyre handling this amazingly well! Most cats would of been freaked out and hiding!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Premier Cat

I agree, they are remarkably well-adjusted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I think it helps that:

- they have each other to console/play with (Bella's bravery wears off on Cricket, Cricket's neverending desire to play distracts Bella)
- We're only moving stuff around a few hours a day about 6 (the other 18 hours it's pretty peaceful around here)
- They're relatively new to the household so haven't gotten too attached to the way things are (the areas they are attached to have pretty much remained the same)
- And I spend most of my time herding them, reassuring them, watching over them. (They know their human friend/guardian is there to protect them.)

I'm trying to keep them on their regular routine. Dinner is still served in the kitchen at 6:30-7pm. I still stay up nights and offer frequent playing and petting as desired. Cricket has taken up residence in the comfy chair beside me. She also figured out she likes my petting. Needy little bugger too. She mews at me every hour to let me know she wants a rubdown. Then she rolls over, tries to crawl into my lap and makes sure I get just that right spot on her head or under her chin.

The ones most upset about all this clutter removal are the humans. It never seems to end. And just when you go to the trouble of getting a pile of stuff together for the charity pickup, the charity stands you up. Call and they apologize offering to come back next MONTH (?!!!), could you please have it outside by the curb waiting for us then?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Cat Addict

I remember house cleaning from back before I had cats. Mine don't hide they start looking for attention because I shouldn't be doing anything but focusing on them.

I've decided it's time to do some trash removal too. I don't want to end up on one of those 'Hoarders' TV shows. I probably don't really need that broken old TV or the broken lawnmower. They've both been replaced and will never be fixed.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
I remember house cleaning from back before I had cats. Mine don't hide they start looking for attention because I shouldn't be doing anything but focusing on them.

I've decided it's time to do some trash removal too. I don't want to end up on one of those 'Hoarders' TV shows. I probably don't really need that broken old TV or the broken lawnmower. They've both been replaced and will never be fixed.
Ah so maybe that's why Bella has foregone her afternoon nap and is following me about. She senses the cleaning will begin soon and doesn't want to miss it. Just so many interesting things being unearthed around here. If I didn't worry so much about her running off outside I'd happily let her explore more.

"Hoarders" gives me nightmares. My house is more in the Clean House category. It's liveable but has several areas barricaded by clutter. That includes an old broken down tractor in the garage. My dad is the hoarder who keeps talking about "someday". I finally just got so sick of it, I rented a dumpster and have my cousins loading it up.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Cat Addict

There's a part of my garage that's full of stuff i don't have a use for. It's a nuisence to walk around but I just haven't 'gotten around to it'. I need to spend a weekend on it but there are so many more fun things to do.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

Errmmm ...

Whats 'housecleaning'?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_ph
There's a part of my garage that's full of stuff i don't have a use for. It's a nuisence to walk around but I just haven't 'gotten around to it'. I need to spend a weekend on it but there are so many more fun things to do.
Story of my life. Usually that means travel. But then when you travel you find all this nice new "stuff" you want to bring home with you.

I do have certain rooms I almost militantly keep refreshing (and therefore clean). The rest I walk by quickly or shut the door. It was surreal clearing out the excess junk in the Laundry/Mud Room yesterday. For the first time in decades there was an echo. It probably would have scared the cats even more to be out there.

I think I can officially say the cats are so over it. The guys have been working on repainting and shoveling junk into the dumpster all afternoon and the kitties can't be bothered to leave their napping spots.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Day 5 of housecleaning

The neighbors have all come out for a looksee. We've been hauling ALOT of junk out of the house. Got the Laundry and Mud Room repainted and reorganized. A spare bedroom cleaned out entirely. Basement half cleaned. Garage stripped. One more bedroom to go. The kitties love exploring all these new places.

I'm finding Bella is much more affectionate. She realized there's all this attention and none paid to her. She cuddled up with my dad after dinner last night. Then Cricket crawled into his bed. If I'm talking to the guys or walking about to clean something they follow me. Must be something interesting for them to sniff and explore.

Today their wake up from naptime coincided with the guys getting out the front loader to haul junk into the dumpster. They had a front row seat from the patio room, surrounded by glass windows with one open to the invisible screen door. Oh my, you never saw two more excited kitties in your life. They kept running from window to window following the front loader. I had to pull the glass door closed when I caught Cricket clawing at the tiny rip at the bottom. These two are not scared at all. They want to KNOW what is going on.

Power nap

Must have attention

Hmm, where do I start?

What is that thing?

Where is it?

I hear noises too...

That "thing" at work

Sooo hungry! We've been cleaning ALL day!

Zonked...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page