New Cat Introduction- Meep! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Cat

New Cat Introduction- Meep!

Now, I know I need to not just fling them together. That is a recipe for disaster!

My issue is the best room to make a welcome-kitteh room, is my room. And Mochi likes sleeping with me every night. I'd hate to boot her for the weeks it'll take to introduce them, but may have to. The basement is not cat proof and thus I don't think it'd be appropriate for the new girl. And we have one bathroom in the house between four people. I think the constant in and out would be waaaaaaay too much for the new kitter.

So, do you think I'd be able to temporarily keep Mochi out of my room without problems? She actually prefers to use the litterbox not in my room (even though it is in a corner away from my bed and private). I want to do this right. The kitty that is being welcomed into my home tomorrow is an older red flame point Siamese being given up by her owner, because their new home doesn't allow cats. I'd hate for her to end up in a shelter.

If anyone has any advise, I'd be incredibly grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 AM
Premier Cat

Re: New Cat Introduction- Meep!

Well, your sitation presents some problems, but nothing that can't be worked through. Kudos to you for trying to keep the Meezer from the shelter!

How about setting up a semi-private super-large dog crate?

This would be sort of stepping-up the intro process a bit by eliminating the behind-closed-doors step and going right to visual with partial access. If you use Feliway, Composure Liquid and/or Rescue Remedy it may help this accelerated step go smoother...

I have a wire crate that is 3x5x4tall that I use outside for holding stray dogs or letting kitties sit outside to enjoy fresh air while we are with them on the patio. This year I want to make some sturdy shelves to put in it so I can let several kitties be in it at the same time and not feel too crowded with only the floor to share.
If you place this in a corner of the room so the new kitty has two sides and a corner she can safely retreat to and be completely hidden from Mochi, but also with shelves so new kitty can get up 'high' and feel safer and more confident, this will allow them to be in the same living space and interact in a partial manner. I would also place Mochi in your room for periods of time to allow the new kitty out to explore, exercise, spread her scent through the home and spend quality bonding-time with her new family.
That's all the ideas I've got...
heidi =^..^=

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page