Whether to add a second cat - cute pic added in 2nd pg :) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Whether to add a second cat - cute pic added in 2nd pg :)

I am hoping that some of you may have useful advice for me regarding the addition of a second cat in my household

I took in a kitty from the local shelter 7 months ago and she has been doing great. She is sociable with me, loves to cuddle and sleep beside (and on) me. When she was in the shelter, she did not exhibit problems (fear, aggressive behavior) towards other cats (none that I could see while I was there). She is currently 4 years old.

Now I would love to get a second cat, but there are some pros and cons, which I have to consider.

PROS
+since I am gone all day, my current cat would have someone to socialize with
+current kitty would get more exercise (now struggling to keep a healthy weight)

CONS
-current kitty might not accept the new one (this is a major worry for me)
-my apartment is only 35 square meters – is this not too little for 2 cats?

Some other practical questions
? How do you deal with transporting 2 cats, e.g. to the vet? Take them one by one or get two containers? Or get one large container if they are friendly?
? I understand that it might be easier for the old kitty to adapt to a kitten instead of a grown cat but in this case I am worried that I might not be able to be present often enough to teach the kitten good manners & behavior. So I am leaning towards a grown cat (probably not younger than 6 months). Right or wrong decision?
? Even if the cats are friendly, will they not get jealous if I spend more time with one than the other? As I said, my girl now loves to sleep in my lap and my bed but I’m not sure if I have enough room for two cats in my lap (they can definitely fit on the bed ). Also I do love her cuddliness now but won’ t it disappear after she has her own playmate and no longer considers me interesting…?

Thanks for your answers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Jr. Cat

Re: Whether to add a second cat

Your place sonds a little small for 2 cats. But I would go with the kitten and you shouldn't have any socialization plroblems with them. But that's not a guarentee. Trust me thoughtthe older cat will teach the other one the ropes i.e. manners, etc. And we take cats in a carrier to the vet as we have big carriers for them. Even f only one of them has to go we still take take second in the carrier with him. It really seems to keep them calm and relaxed to have the two of them in their as apposed to only the one. Hope this helps a little

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My kitties are just my furry children!!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Cat

I am in the same dilemma as you! Although, I am fairly certain I myself want another cat, but yes, it would be heartbreaking to see if the two kitties do not get along. As for transportation, I spoil Snowy like mad, he already has a kitty stroller that disassembles (i.e. the wheels and handles come off and it functions like a large carrier that fits in the back seat). The stroller is plenty of space for 2 kitties, maybe even three .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Kitten

Go for it!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Cat

I say yes, get another cat. I too live in a very small apartment, and my boys are happy as clams!

Getting a kitten does not guarantee the intro will go well, but its true - older cats do often accept kittens more easily. Female cats seem to accept males more easily, for some reason.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the replies!

My cat is female and she is 4 years old - and yes, I've been thinking about getting a male cat since as I understand a male cat would be easier to accept.

Now I'm really concerned that the apartment is too small for two kitties Perhaps I should just get a grip and stick to one?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Cat Addict

I think how much room you have would only be an issue if there were other problems. As others have said it's often easier to add a kitten, and the male/female thing also seems to hold true in my house.

It's been said in others posts, but I'm going to repeat it. Don't get a second cat unless YOU want a second cat. Don't get one solely for the cat you already have because it might not work out. If you want one and you are willing to put in the extra time/energy/money to intro them properly, then go for it.

If you aren't sure...take some time to decide. Sometimes another will just fall into your lap (lol..what would I know about that), and sometimes you just need some time to consider. Even if you do decide another is right for you it doesn't have to be right this instant. You have loads of time to add another kitty. If you do I would suggest doing so and taking your vacation time to intro new kitty to your family. That way you have lots of time and you don't have to sit at work wondering.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Cat

My place is roughly the same size as yours and my cats have absolutely no problem racing around, knocking things over, generally being hyper, etc. (well, technically it is 601 Square Feet but the roof is so slop-y on the upstairs that it cuts it in half).

I introduced my 6 month old female Sugar to a 9 month old female Skooma and they get along great now. Just go slow, at both cats pace, and it will, more than likely, work out for them both. I would definitely suggest under a year for the second cat, however, since they're still technically kittens.

So far I have no encountered any 'territory or jealousy' when it comes to showering love. It also helps that Sugar is very timid while Skooma has No Fear and is very In Yo Face. To make sure that the already established cat has no jealousy it is usually good practice to acknowledge them first, feed them first, etc. For the lap thing... they'll both try to get into your lap and often it will look uncomfortable to us humans but apparently it's fine and dandy for them.

Cuddliness will not disappear. Some people have had it diminish for a couple days but I never had Skooma stop cuddling. And now I have it times two...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole
my apartment is only 35 square meters – is this not too little for 2 cats?
Nope. You can always increase usable square footage by adding vertical space, which cats love. Climbing shelves, cat trees, or just clearing off the top of some tall furniture for them is great.
Quote:
Some other practical questions
? How do you deal with transporting 2 cats, e.g. to the vet? Take them one by one or get two containers? Or get one large container if they are friendly?
TWO. Stuffing 2 cats into one carrier is asking for a MAJOR mess, even if they love each other!
Quote:
I understand that it might be easier for the old kitty to adapt to a kitten instead of a grown cat but in this case I am worried that I might not be able to be present often enough to teach the kitten good manners & behavior. So I am leaning towards a grown cat (probably not younger than 6 months). Right or wrong decision?
Here is the diary I did of my most recent intro -- baby Jonah to resident adult cats Lincoln and Calvin (plus 3 dogs):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62659&hilit=introduction

I did the intro the same way when I brought Calvin (age 2 at the time) into the house with resident Lincoln (5 at the time). Slow and steady wins the race. I would get a neutered male, NOT a female. N. males tend to be mellower and more willing to put up w/ stuff from females. Safest bet is to go to a no-kill shelter that either fosters the cats out in homes or allows some contact between them at the shelter. That way the shelter will be able to tell you which cats are most mellow and easygoing w/ other cats.
Quote:
Even if the cats are friendly, will they not get jealous if I spend more time with one than the other? As I said, my girl now loves to sleep in my lap and my bed but I’m not sure if I have enough room for two cats in my lap (they can definitely fit on the bed ). Also I do love her cuddliness now but won’ t it disappear after she has her own playmate and no longer considers me interesting…?
Of course you have room for 2 in your lap. It's not pretty, but it works. That said, they usually take turns in my household. If you do the slow and easy intro, you'll be spending time w/ the new cat separately for a while, which is best. That way, when you're out in the main part of the house, you will be 100% the resident cat's, and by the time she realizes she has competition she'll love her new friend.

It's VERY doubtful that your current kitty will stop wanting to cuddle, etc., but you may find that some things DO change. She may be extremely clingy now, but if that's b/c she's desperate for contact after being alone all day long, do you really want to keep that? I know you don't. She'll still love you, but she's going to have someone else to love, too. It's all good.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the encouragement!

librarychick - it's definitely ME that wants the cat In fact, that's one of the reasons I'm somewhat hesitant since I've always been told that cats prefer to be alone and that it's just us humans who insist on them pairing up I'm not worried about the extra trouble or money, just about the well-being of both kitties

hoofmaiden - you're very right about her being clingy when I come home - she basically follows me wherever I go and when the alarm rings in the morning, she actually lays down on top of me as if to say "you're not leaving!"

I was thinking of going to the same shelter where I got my girl to talk to them about what they can offer (they can usually tell quite a lot about each kitty). In fact, I'm already planning my vacation in the end of April so that I can do a nice & steady introduction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page