neuting a pregnant cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

neuting a pregnant cat

A neighbour had the RSPCA round to her house saying they had a complaint about the mess in her back yard (I am a neighbour and I didn't think this was the case) they said they would take the cat to get neuted even though it was heavily pregnant and propbly due soon they said the unborn kittens would not be halmed. Only the next thing she got a phone call saying the kittens where dead. Is it possible to get a pregnant cat neuted without putting the unborn kittens at harlm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned

Re: neuting a pregnant cat

Pregnant cats can be spayed, but that usually means either the pregnancy isn't very far along, in which case they aren't viable obviously (I have had this done) or the kittens are euthanized as they are "born." That's obviously harder for most people to do.

I can't imagine any vet intentionally doing a Caesarian on a cat for anything but a viable medical reason. That's dangerous for all involved and for no good reason. Just wait until the kittens are born and weaned and then spay.

All other things aside, its going to be difficult for a momcat to nurse a litter after having had abdominal surgery.

I'm guessing that the neighbor misunderstood and the kittens were euthanized as they were delivered.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, it is possible, but it is ONLY possible if the C-section is performed quickly and a staff-team is present to work vigorously with each kitten as it is 'born' via C-section to get it to 'wake up' from the anesthesia given to the mother. After all kittens are delivered by C-section, she is then spayed.
IMO, I feel this procedure is a very risky one and it should only be considered in extreme duress or in the presence of other complications.

If the kittens were not term and they proceeded anyway, then I think their negligence resulted in the death of the litter by birthing them too early.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Tom Cat

The TNR organization with which I work will spay-abort on a regular basis. It is a controversial topic, and I don't think a debate need to be had here.

I have seen them spay a cat who had near-term fetuses. The babies were revived, but despite being near term (and bottle-fed) they did not make it. I have also seen vets euth the at-term or very near the end of pregnancy fetuses. This is not a desired outcome, but it has happened.

I also believe that it is very difficult (if not impossible) for a mother to nurse kittens after she has been spayed... I believe that the removal of the source of hormones (uterus/ovaries) will result in her milk supply drying up. I could be wrong.

Regardless, it is tragic that kittens did not survive when your neighbor was told (I believe incorrectly) that they would.

-BP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinta414
A neighbour had the RSPCA round to her house saying they had a complaint about the mess in her back yard (I am a neighbour and I didn't think this was the case) they said they would take the cat to get neuted even though it was heavily pregnant and propbly due soon they said the unborn kittens would not be halmed.
I'm a bit confused here. What is the RSPCA doing checking on a messy back yard? Did the neighbour give permission for them to take the cat? I thought the RSPCA's concern was about the welfare of animals as in the Prevention Cruelty Animals and to stop people ill-treating animals.

JusJim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinta414
A neighbour had the RSPCA round to her house saying they had a complaint about the mess in her back yard (I am a neighbour and I didn't think this was the case) they said they would take the cat to get neuted even though it was heavily pregnant and propbly due soon they said the unborn kittens would not be halmed.
I'm a bit confused here. What is the RSPCA doing checking on a messy back yard? Did the neighbour give permission for them to take the cat? I thought the RSPCA's concern was about the welfare of animals as in the Prevention Cruelty Animals and to stop people ill-treating animals.
My thought is that the they have some kind of animal in their backyard and that it was a threat to the animal..Maybe the momcat since she was pregnant...

-Kelly-
~Soon to be Cat Owner. (I hope
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

How very cruel to abort kittens, especially near full term or full term. It's as bad as the old days when people would pay a kid to drown a bag of kittens. Life is precious.

It's hard to believe an organization dedicated to the welfare of animals would have insisted on an abortion. That sounds fishy, doesn't it? Of course, the neighbor could have refused, unless there is a very controversial law requiring it. I think I'd rather pay a fine or spend some time in jail than to destroy little lives.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito

The spay/neuter clinic where I work won't do surgery if the cat is visibly pregnant. However, it isn't uncommon to discover a pregnancy once the incision is already made. In those cases, we need to contact the owner to find out what that will have us do- sew her back up or continue with the spay. Most of these cats are feral, and the people who brought them in sign the form saying to spay no matter what, even in the case of pregnancy. And so the kittens are removed and humanely... destroyed

It's very sad, but in most cases the kittens are tiny and underdeveloped, and as ET mentioned, they are sedated from whatever tranquilizer the mom got. I don't think they feel or are aware of anything that happens to them. It always makes our staff very sad, one of the techs usually gets very teary about it. "I cry for them because no one else ever will " In a world with so many homeless cats wandering around out there, I guess it's comforting to think that there will be some # of kittens not being born out in the wild, just to grow up to breed and add to the numbers. But still... I hate thinking about it, and I hate that it happens. It just... does.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

It's heartbreaking..just thinking about it.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page