Found a Blind Stray - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Found a Blind Stray

We found a blind, half starved, cat hiding in some old boxes in our garage 2 days ago. I've been running myself ragged trying to find its owner. The cat is so sweet I was convinced some one HAD to be frantically looking for her. I've spent hours on the phone with shelters and vet's offices, put up a ton of "found" fliers, and have worn out a good pair of shoes going door to door to see if any one recognized this poor cat. I finally found some one who new who the cat belonged to. The people moved away and tossed a whole bunch of cats out the door on their way out!!! I'm so angry about this! This poor cat is entirely BLIND and they just threw her out like garbage to fend for herself. It's bad enough they did it to normal cats but to do it to a blind animal is just disgusting!! I swear I wish I could gouge out these people's eyes and make them go dodge traffic!! That's essentially what this poor animal had to do to make it to our garage.

We named her Tippy and I took her to the vet once I found out no one was looking for her. I doubt she's ever been to one as little as she seemed to matter to her previous owners. Being as I have 4 cats already I can't provide a permanent home for such a special needs kitty but I'll be damned if she's going to have to suffer any more. I'm doing every thing I can to make sure she finds a safe home.

The vet estimates she's some where between 10-15 yrs old. Because the vet found that several of her teeth were broken I had him do X-rays. She's had at least 9 broken bones that have had to heal on their own. Most of them are ribs but she's also survived a fractured skull and jaw. The vet believes that the blow to the head that caused the skull fracture could have caused her blindness. Even after the vet poked, prodded, and stuck her with needles she still reached up to give him kisses and purred like a sports car the whole time we were there. You know, if I had endured a decade or more of abuse (especially if it left me with a severe handicap) I don't think I could be so forgiving. I think I'd bite the **** out of every person to lay hands on me.

We are actively looking for a home for Tippy but given her age and disability we are not holding out much hope. My husband and I have decided that if no one comes forward to offer her a home then she will just live out the rest of her days with us. Despite all she's been through she's the best lap cat I've ever known. She deserves to be loved in her last days. It's the least we can do for her I think.

"Ignorance is only bliss to the one not left to suffer its effects"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:56 AM
Banned

Re: Found a Blind Stray

she is beautiful and very lucky to have met you!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Premier Cat

I wanted to cry when I read your post. I have two blind kitties we rescued. They are the greatest cats. They can do anything my normal foster cats do. Theyve never missed thier litter box, they have my house memorized and come running when I walk in the door, they play, follow me around, and love to be picked up and loved on.

So many people think a blind cat will be a lot of extra responsiblity but they arent. They are an inspiration and give more back than you ever give to them! Bless you for your compassion and willingness to help this sweet cat.

There are a couple rescues in the US that are for blind cats. Rolling Dog Ranch and the Blind Cat Rescue & Sanctuary. There is also a wonderful book that just came out last fall called Homers Odyssey by Gwen Cooper you would enjoy also.

I cant concieve people tossing out animals like garbage. May thier horrid deeds come back to visit them in the same way they did to this poor kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Cat

Shes very pretty, poor thing.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Premier Cat

*closes eyes to send good thoughts and prayers for you and this beautiful kitty*

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Cat Addict

That really is so so heartbreaking, I hope karma gets those owners, poor kitty and how lucky she was to have found you
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Premier Cat

Awww, she is such a sweet cat!

Her former tortureres are the kinds of rotten humans that haunt cats' nightmares.
May their meanness come back on them five-fold!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Cat Addict

I think it should be legal to just shoot people for that.

But then I think that about a lot of things.

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Cool Cat

In some areas there are severe penalties for animal cruelty. Have you reported this? The authorities should be able to track the people who did this down. Call (or e-mail with pic) a local newspaper. Many would want to use such an item.

Such a pretty cat. Thank you for helping her.

JusJim
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Jr. Cat

She is so lucky to have met you guys!
I can't believe she has had a lifetime of abuse & that the skull fracture might have been the result of her blindness how sad.
God Bless you guys for taking this girl in.

There is a dog down the street that is tied to its owners front porch who is blind, he's got less than 6feet on his chain & is used only to alert them when people are coming up on their house. It's very sad & The little boy who lives there was talking about getting a new puppy when he came up talking to me when I was walking my Great Dane. I guess he's now not useful.
I forgot to add, I think his blindness is from old age or something happened because when we moved here 8months ago he could see, now he cant.

-Kelly-
~Soon to be Cat Owner. (I hope
)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page