guess i'll have a multi-cat household, after all! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

guess i'll have a multi-cat household, after all!

we went to petsmart today to get some food for my rats. my daughter wanted to see the kitties. there were a few cats from the local pound looking for homes. they were "long timers" (adoptable more than 14 days) at the pound, and had reduced adoption fees. one caught our eye. he looked so much like a past foster, that my husband had loved and wanted to keep. we asked to see this boy. he rubbed against my hand and then just laid down on the table, purring for all he was worth. when my daughter (not quite two) squealed in excitement, he just looked at her and did that long, slow blink thing, never pausing with the purring.

so, we adopted him. he is between 3-4 years old, neutered, and negative for all the nasties. he is SO skinny! i can feel his poor spine! we brought him home and i got him settled in our bedroom. he promptly hid under the bed, which i expected. tonight, after i got the baby down, put the dogs up for the night, i went to lay down and ready for a while. i was talking softly, just to get him use to the sound of my voice. i told him it was quiet now, just him and i, and if he felt like coming out to join me, he could. i told him he would have a good home, with lots of love and toys and good food. i told him if he wanted to stay under the bed a while longer, i'd understand. well, he crawled out from under the bed and jumped right up with me. he purred and rubbed and headbutted and doomalocked for all he was worth. after a few minutes of love, he laid down near by and watched me with half opened eyes, purring all the while.

i noticed something, though, that i didn't notice at petsmart. i noticed before we adopted him that his back end (hips/legs) felt a little funny, but i thought it was because he's just so skinny. i noticed tonight, though, that he favors one of his legs. he walks a few steps, then picks it up and hops. he seems to hold both legs, but particularly that one, very straight. have you ever seen a dog frog leg? where they lay on their belly with their back legs straight out behind them? it's common and normal with dogs, but i have never seen a cat do it. this boy wasn't exactly frog legging, but he was holding his one leg out kinda behind him in a way that reminded me of that. i'm going to call tomorrow to set up an initial vet visit, and that's definitely something i'll have them look at.

other than that, he is a sweet, beautiful boy! i don't want to start harassing him with the camera just yet, so y'all will have to wait for pictures! he's a very small (even if he wasn't so skinny), medium haired gray boy. i haven't settled on a name for him yet, i want to get to know him a little better first.

kimo comes home on april 22. i'd been considering adopting a second cat after he was here and settled. guess the second cat decided he wanted to come first! my concern now is- i was thinking about a second cat because sphynxes are so active, and i wanted kimo to have someone to play with. i'm worried if this boy has something wrong with his legs, he won't be able to play as well....

NIKKI
proud mama to one kid, two dogs, three elderly ferrets, and a mischief of girly rats.
kimo kawaii- the red and white sphynx boy
sol- the fluffy "anti-kimo" rescue boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Cat

Re: guess i'll have a multi-cat household, after all!

Animals are very adaptive, especially with injuries. We once had a garage cat with a deformed front paw. He got around faster than anyone.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Kitten

Got a little skinny female feral living out front whom somehow got a back leg SHATTERED... I mean, paw was practically snapped off.. the only thing holding it on was skin, you could see the bones protruding. I couldn't catch her, so I figured she'd probably die. She CHEWED THE DAMNED PAW OFF, I found it in the yard, and the stump healed. She doesn't get around as good as a uninjured cat, but she's still faster than me.... can't catch the poor little thing. I make sure she stays well fed, though, and away from the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragynflye
i noticed something, though, that i didn't notice at petsmart. i noticed before we adopted him that his back end (hips/legs) felt a little funny, but i thought it was because he's just so skinny. i noticed tonight, though, that he favors one of his legs. he walks a few steps, then picks it up and hops. he seems to hold both legs, but particularly that one, very straight. have you ever seen a dog frog leg? where they lay on their belly with their back legs straight out behind them? it's common and normal with dogs, but i have never seen a cat do it. this boy wasn't exactly frog legging, but he was holding his one leg out kinda behind him in a way that reminded me of that. i'm going to call tomorrow to set up an initial vet visit, and that's definitely something i'll have them look at.
...i'm worried if this boy has something wrong with his legs, he won't be able to play as well....
I have two kitties with 'odd' back leg issues.
Well, we had another, but he passed away in 2007. His issue was a spinal tumor and his symptoms are not like what you are describing ... BUT ... our kitty BooBoo will sometimes get up from a snooze and stretch and when he goes to 'walk off' from the stretch, it seems like his 'knee' (patella) sort of catches and he'll do a sort of stiff-legged hop or two until it loosens or un-catches and then he's fine. I've never noticed it other than when he first gets up from laying down. Louie also has an odd-looking gait and I've determined it is because he doesn't bend his knees much at all. He sort of does a straight-legged swagger. He keeps his back legs straight most of the time when walking, jogging or running. He only seems to deep-bend them for stopping, cornering and jumping.

A friend has a kitty who had a leg injury as a kitten and I think she had a little bit of a limp when moving but most noticeable was when she sat; that one back leg would sort of tip-out and her foot and knee would point about a 45* angle from her body.
All of these cats appeared to enjoy playing and don't/didn't seem to let their leg issues prevent them from having fun.
h =^..^=

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyphor
Got a little skinny female feral living out front whom somehow got a back leg SHATTERED... I mean, paw was practically snapped off.. the only thing holding it on was skin, you could see the bones protruding. I couldn't catch her, so I figured she'd probably die. She CHEWED THE DAMNED PAW OFF, I found it in the yard, and the stump healed. She doesn't get around as good as a uninjured cat, but she's still faster than me.... can't catch the poor little thing. I make sure she stays well fed, though, and away from the road.
Have you tried a humane trap? That would catch her. She needs that leg
looked at and if she has any infection or pain. It hurt just reading about it.
Even if she is feral she can get a shot of antibiotic. You could continue to
feed her fish mox in her food, which is a type of antibiotics. We use those
for ferals we cant get near.

About the other kitty. I would take her to the vet and have an x-ray.
Cats donít express pain until its too late. Itís a survival thing. I had a
foster mom who was so sweet but she didnít play and she laid on her
side a lot.

The wonderful people who adopted her noticed she limped.
We all thought it was when she struggled to not to be put in the carrier.
They took her to a vet and found she had a dislocated hip. Probably
while she was outside, abandoned and pregnant. It had been that way
for a long time. The family opted to do surgery and she now runs, plays
and is out of pain. I felt bad I didnít detect it but she was always caring
for her kittens, nursing and lying observing her brood so I didnít pick up
on it.

I hope it all works out for both kitties.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

he has an appointment on monday to get checked out. we got a little bit of snow last night, and this whole city shuts down at the first sign of a flurry, so i couldn't get him in today. he doesn't mind me petting his legs/hips, and walks normally most of the time, but every few steps, he'll limp a little, or hop on three legs, so we'll see what the vet says!

i posted pics of him

NIKKI
proud mama to one kid, two dogs, three elderly ferrets, and a mischief of girly rats.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Premier Cat

Sounds like you live in the South! They dont know how to drive in snow.

I hope all goes well at the vet and he finds why your little guy is doing this. Youre his guardian angel.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

haha! oklahoma! but we moved here from alaska, so we are totally baffled by the level of freak out everyone experiences when it snows!

NIKKI
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Cat

Check out the thread with the cat with only his front legs rushing about the place...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Cat

Congratulations on your new kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page