Sometimes I think Miu is a dog - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sometimes I think Miu is a dog

Can cats be obedient like dogs? Are they just as or more intelligent than dogs? Miu is odd sometimes. Yesterday, I was washing the windows and Miu climbed up on the window sill to see what I was doing. I scolded her a bit but not too harshly. Then I removed her from the sill and sat her down on top of a box on the desk. She somehow got the message and for the duration of the time, she either sat away from the window on top of the tall desktop hutch to watch me work or on my bed directly under the window. I was trying hard to stifle my laughter because her expression was just so cute. I had considered shutting her out of my room to wash but I knew she'd want to come in as soon as she discovered my door closed. It turned out pretty good after all!

Another example is how she learned the meaning of words. I don't usually purposely teach her commands and even when I do, it's so easy for her to pick them up it's a bit scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Cat Addict

I think cats are just as smart as dogs, but dogs are more loyal and trusting. Hehehe...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

Natasha is far more loyal than any dog I have ever owned.

Obedient? I'm not sure!

I have never taught her to be "obedient"... she has always had the choice of staying by my side and/or behaving. She always does, I suppose it depends on the cat! Every once in a while she will hop up on the dining table, but I tell her to get down and she does so right away.

Cats tend to keep themselves safer and out of dangerous things better than dogs can. I think that is one of the reasons we don't demand what is considered "obedient" behavior from them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Premier Cat

Both of my girls are very obedient, in the sense of well behaved, even though they don't do "tricks" (beg, shake paw, etc.). However, if they jump on something they shouldn't, I just say "No" and either they get down or I put them down, but they rarely go back up again. I think it's just depends on the cat's nature, and I figure I got lucky in that regard!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

That's cool! As these two are my only cat experiences, I don't know how much they act within the norms of cat behavior. But it's nice to know that cats CAN be obedient. I remember reading threads about how you can't discipline a cat. Apparently, sometimes, the cat picks it up themselves.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Cat

My 'Wegies are selectively dog-like. They'll walk with the dogs, eat dog treats, sleep with the dogs...

Although I have 3 cats and 3 basset hounds, and therefore have 6 animals who file my commands for later consideration.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Cat

I don't think there really is a normal with cats. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page