Who has a Hemmie? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Who has a Hemmie?

Think this AMAZING breed should have a thread!!

Any tips of grooming? Downy always has mini mats, nd i comb her 3 times a day? Any tips? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
What's a Hemmie? Is that a Himilayan?

----------
Renée
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downy View Post
Think this AMAZING breed should have a thread!!

Any tips of grooming? Downy always has mini mats, nd i comb her 3 times a day? Any tips? Suggestions?
When was the last time she had a bath? Clean hair doesn't mat as quickly as hair that's dirty. You may have to bath her about once a month to keep mats from forming. Does she go outdoors? Some cats like to roll in dirt and get the dust in their coats which tend to make it mat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Cat

I have a himmie! I agree with catloverami I bathe my gal at least once a month and she is mat free. Granted she is only 7mths but I only comb her once every 2-4 days as she is a BUM to groom LOL, and has a really thick coat.
I bathe often only because my fiance is allergic and bathing actually makes it possible for him to cuddle with her
A couple tips I've gotten was do a full comb out before the bath and during the blow dry. I use both a wide tooth and fine tooth comb for everyday grooming and a rake to get more bang for less time spent grooming when she's being especially bratty.
I would love to see pics of your himmie! I just absolutely love the breed! they are such clowns yet, so laid back and affectionate.
I'm just going to add some new pics of my gal in the "meet my kitty" section!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I was mine at least once a month.. During the summe it gets really hot so we give her lion cut.. She seems to enjoy it!

@LeLuMonster- what coolor point is your kitty?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

I have a himmie!

I brush Gigi a few times a day, on her back and sides with a slicker brush, with a more gentle brush on her belly, under her arms and legs. She has been matt-free for several months now, but I still might get her a modified lion cut if we have a hot summer. I've only had her bathed once (by her groomer).

She's the most lovable cat I've ever known, always wants to be near me, snuggled up against me. She sits on the bed next to me, purring and rubbing up against me while I get dressed for work, runs up to me, purring, when I get home. She's 7 lbs. of pure love.

Now if she only loved the twins again.....

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Cat

Downy, my girl is a seal point....and is currently playing hide and seek with my 1yr old son
It get's HOT here in summers (if we have a typical one) but I don't want to do a lion cut I just love her soft thick fur. We do have A/C and it's on a lot during the summer. My question I guess is I thought their fur helped with keepin cool as well as warm? I don't want her to get over heated as even with the A/C our apt is so yucky made that it's boiling sometimes, would a lion cut benefit?
I guess I just don't want to see her lovely fur go but will if it means she'll be more comfortable, I heard it grows in darker as well?

Last edited by LeeLuMonster; 05-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLuMonster View Post
Downy, my girl is a seal point....and is currently playing hide and seek with my 1yr old son
It get's HOT here in summers (if we have a typical one) but I don't want to do a lion cut I just love her soft thick fur. We do have A/C and it's on a lot during the summer. My question I guess is I thought their fur helped with keepin cool as well as warm? I don't want her to get over heated as even with the A/C our apt is so yucky made that it's boiling sometimes, would a lion cut benefit?
I guess I just don't want to see her lovely fur go but will if it means she'll be more comfortable, I heard it grows in darker as well?
We typically do it to try and help keep them cool. That is what we heard from our groomer.. And yes they hair typically grows back a bit darker.. I called Downy my lower-ridder kitty for a while because her back half was the light purple (hence lilac point) and the top was white.. but not only does my cat love it, after it is done they like to show it off... They are so proud of it, and they sit in front of the mirror its actually very comical.. Now my job is to get her to be more cuddly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Cat

Haha the title was confusing, I was totally thinking a hemmingway, its ok though I love himmies too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page