My kitty, Gabby, came home today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Talking My kitty, Gabby, came home today

I brought Gabby home today. She's currently hiding in my bathroom. I knew she would hide because that's what she does when she's frightened. I know she may hide for a few days, the vet told me it would probably happen. I'm going to go put some food and water in there. Pictures will come when she decides to venture out some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Cat Addict

Congrats on your new kitty! Yah, it's a good idea to keep her in there for a while. It has a few benefits. One: to calm her to a new place, new owner, new everything. Two: Enforce proper litterbox use.

I had Jack the stray in the bathroom for a month before he was calm enough to take to the vet. Then I had him in a cat room for another 2 weeks before I finally let him have full range in the house. He now treats the cat room as his 'safe' room, he faithfully uses his box, and we have a great relationship.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm leaving the bathroom door open so she can come out when she wants to. My bedroom door is closed. I have a smallish one bedroom apartment so I don't think it will be too overwhelming.

As far as I know she's never not used the litter box and she is used to a covered littler box.

Thank you for your care and concern. Cat lovers are the best!! I'm glad I found this website to help answer questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Cat Addict

Shrugs, well every cat is different. Jack was a skittish stray so it took him much longer to be okay with the house, the people and all that.

But yeah, at the moment, don't try to change too many things. Keep the same environment etc for a while for her to develop a routine, become familiar to it and be calm. Then in no time, she might turn out to be a racer chick like my Miu. She sprints at top speed around the house which makes for much fun for Rocky the dog. har har!

So have fun and learn. This place is full of awesome people. I've learned a lot here myself and they've helped me many times. Miu and Jack are my first cats so I didn't have cat experience before.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat

When Gabby is her regular self she's pretty much a perpetual motion machine. I have the benefit of knowing her since she was around 3 weeks old. My apartment is much smaller than the house she came from. But I've made sure there are lots of places for her to climb up on and play in. My kitchen is a walk-thru so there is a race track of sorts for her to run around.

You sound like a very good kitty parent!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Cat Addict

Why thank you! I sure hope I am! Ha, I just love racer kitties. It's pretty funny when they're zooming.

That's nice that you've known her for a while. How old is she now?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

She's two and a half.

Her former human adopted her after her friend found Gabby on the side of MN Hwy 169 (hence my Gabby169 name) at the age of about 3 weeks.

Gabby has always been a little dare devil, except when it comes to new humans. She LOVES LOVES LOVES to play with just about everything. I really need that distraction. My depression and anxiety get really bad at times and I do better when I get my mind off of it, but it's hard to do when you're alone.

Three Summers ago I cat and apartment sat for the entire summer. Being responsible for the cat literally saved my life. I love how animals know when you are in trouble and how they tend to stay close during those times.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby169 View Post
I love how animals know when you are in trouble and how they tend to stay close during those times.
My Star does this when I have to use the nebulizer for a bad asthma attack. He comes and sits in my lap while I'm using the nebulizer and will stay there until I'm done. Of course, I do have to keep him from biting the plastic tubing, though. He bit a hole in it and I had to use tons of duct tape to seal it up. Naughty boy! LOL!

----------
Renée
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Silly Star!! LOL All of your kitties are so beautiful.

I have a CPAP machine but Gabby's former human had one too and she never bit the tubing so I don't think I need to worry about that.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

Since she already knows you, she might not hide for too long. Congrats on bringing her home!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page