Tips on introducing a new kitten to a cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Tips on introducing a new kitten to a cat?

I tried to find this topic elsewhere on the forums but couldn't; please kindly redirect me if there's a better place for this.

I have one almost-three-year-old cat, Lucy, who's the queen of our house and loves having me to herself. She lived with my parents and their cats for several months, and as soon as she moved into her own home, she became much friendlier and more affectionate.

This weekend, we'll be bringing a new baby boy home. He's a seven-week-old Bengal kitten we're rescuing from an abandoned mama, and he's like all kittens... hyper, friendly, tiny, and prone to clawing and biting.

I'm afraid of the effects of introducing these two to each other. There's the issue of tearing him away from the only family he's ever known -- his two brothers, sister, and mom. And then there's Lucy. She's so happy now, reigning over our home, and I'm afraid that her personality will change when the new kitten arrives, or worse, that she'll hate him and hate us for bringing him home.

I've read a lot about introducing kittens gradually, getting cats familiar with one another's scents first, etc. We have a room we can use for the kitten at first, but I want to go about this the best possible way, and I also want him to get adjusted to his new home as quickly as possible. I imagine it's a good thing that he's so young (and that she's still relatively young and playful), and I know the transition won't be easy at first, but do any of you have tips for me on how to navigate this particular situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Cool Cat

This article, Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat, helped when I was introducing my Bengals. Of course, their situation was different because they were litter mates who lived together for the first year of their lives and then were reunited at 2.5 yo. But still, very useful information. It should be easier to get Lucy to accept a kitten than another adult cat but you still want to take precautions.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Premier Cat

The article recommended by Rae is a good one. If you follow the procedure recommended and don't take things to the next stage until Lucy is ready, you should be fine. It's usually easy to introduce a baby kitten, because they're not territorial and aren't viewed as a "threat" by the resident cat. Good luck!

P.S. You'll find most of the threads on cat introductions in the behavior section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page