my cat bit me - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
dia
Kitten

my cat bit me

in case this ever happens to you, i though i'll give other cat owners the head ups up. i have been nipped etc by my kitty's before, no problem. who hasn't. Well on monday night, while i was brushing my old boy who is the calmest gentlest cat i have even had, bit me. His single fang basicaly got stuck in the flesh of my hand for a few moments. Dont know who was in shock more, me or him. there was no bleeding but quickly washed my hand, put some anitbiotic cream on and saw that Greebo was hiding under the coffee table. He knew he did a bad thing, and no i didn't yell at him at him. Long story short, hand blew up quickly, spend 4 hours at emergency. Ended up getting a shot, perscrition for super strong anitobotic, and they put my arm in a split. i have had cats all my 50 plus years and this has never happened to me or anyone i know. So if you get a good bite from your cat, best to get it checked out quickly. Now the drugs are making me feel sick as well..sigh. sorry for my moan but im feeling sorry for myself. cats love them no matter what, but there are days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
Ouch! That would've hurt!
My cats have bitten me but not as bad as that!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Tom Cat

Ouch, I've had mine nip at me when medicating or claw clipping but the only one I really need to watch is Tuffy. He gets wound up playing and will chomp the back of your leg hard enough to break the skin. The dreaded sneak attack. Or will be snuggled in your lap purring & kneading then reach out and chomp on what ever is closest chin, arm or nose. Classic DERP totally clueless that it hurts no clue it was not a love nibble but a chomp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Cat

my smokey cat(rehabbed feral) sunk his fangs in my arm, I spent that xmas day night getting IV antibiotics, plus the RX to take home.. asked my docter if he could give a RX for the cat.. some of the "bugs" in a cats mouth are the same as komodo dragons have !!! watch any cat bite closely, most won't go bad but when they do it can happen very fast.. (fresh hydrogen peroxide may be your best friend to quickly deep clean a bite, buy several of the smaller bottles to keep one hand(its cheap), once opened to the air it starts to turn to water. this is one case where bulk is wrong choice)

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Senior Cat

Maybe you touched him right where it hurts, I mean, maybe he is in pain and you hit the wrong spot, could that be?
I'm very sorry for you! Good luck with your recovery
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
dia
Kitten

tghsmith, how long it take for the swelling, weakness, soreness to ease? I know its not helping that i have to work through this (hairdresser) and of course its my working hand. the swelling has gone down a little. i'm so not looking forward to work today. thanks everyone for replying. hydrogen peroxide, should have thought of that, thanks.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Tom Cat

I went through the same drill (ER and all) about a year ago. The reduction after the drugs is dramatic as I recall. The return to normal should be this week. Keep taking the pills for the required time.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Cat Addict

If that was strange behavior I'd give you kitty as very thorough check. It could be he has a scratch/bite/infection of some sort...I know if someone poked my sore toes right now I'd probaby hit them

Check him over reall carefully and make sure he's ok, you wouldn't want to miss something. Usually when a cat goes from being lovey and calm to biting instantly there's a reason.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Cat

the IV stuff stopped the progression and started to reduce the swelling in the first 12 hours(otherwise they wouldn't have let me out)it still took several days for most of the swelling to subside and the area was tender for a more the a week..I should have gone in sooner but it was xmas morning when it all started to swell..If I didn't have health ins. I'd be sure to invest the 2 bucks in some hydro-per(my copay was 100.00 the bill was over 3000.00)

yeti cat: two toes short of the record books
eons ago there must had been a creature with a roar
like a vacuum cleaner, it most likely ate cats.
smokey,yeti, pansy, violet, ember and brullie
jolene, tammi and emma the ghost kitties in the house
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Tom Cat

I don't know anything about cats (just wild ones) so I didn't know their bites were so bad. Doc said their bites are among the dirtiest. When the swelling started, I thought it was just routine trauma, like when your tank takes an RPG hit. Nope - more like being bitten by an AlienBeing! Serious stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page