Prince's ordeal at the park - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Prince's ordeal at the park

We went on a lovely walk to a park we hadn't been before (which is also 1 block from the apt., same as the park we always go to). This park is even more beautiful and it was very early morning on a holiday, so the air was crisp and we were alone. We smelled the flowers, rolled in the grass, chased birds and bugs, it was a little paradise.

Alas, soon dog owners started getting up and strolling their dogs and Prince was attacked by 2 dogs. He managed to escape by climbing the nearest tree, but the tree branches happened to have the most impossible shape to get down, so he started crying and crying to me for help.

I lay on the ground beneath him encouraging him to jump on me (though he weighs 14 lbs), but he wouldn't. I raised my arms encouraging him to jump onto them, but he wouldn't. We were like that for about half an hour. I didn't know what to do, and I didn't have my mobile phone with me to call the Municipality emergency service (who come to rescue pets from trees, free of charge).

So I took a courageous (desperate) decision: I abandoned Prince. I turned my back on him and walked away and started playing with and feeding some strays far from there. Prince got even more stressed out (he has abandonment anxiety) and decided to just jump off the lowest possible branch of the tree so he could follow me. At first it was a jump, then it became a fall.

Fortunately nothing happened to his body, but I'm afraid what it may have done to his psyche.

A positive effect is that this coming out unharmed has made Prince a lot more valiant and trusting in his dexterity, so he now enjoys more stuff because he tries more things.

What would you have done in such a situation (if you have an outdoor cat, of course)?

I know many would condemn my taking Prince to the park unleashed, but I think there's a hard balance to reach between the risks of a rich life and the safety of a long one. I now know to leave the park long before dog owners start strolling them at about 8:00 am on weekends. We'll be going from 6 to 7 am. I just can't bear the thought of Prince living a life of a 2-room apt. and the downstairs tiny, filthy, public garden with the same strays always fighting the same fights.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Senior Cat

I don't think anyone should condemn you because I think its clear here that everyone knows you love your little Prince.
If he's brave enough, I also take Grimalkin out for walks during the daytime. He doesn't really run anywhere, just enjoys the fresh air and follows me around.
Honestly if Prince was on a leash, I think it would have been worse. There's no way you would have been able to pick him up in time (nor that you would want to lest you be turned into sliced meat xD) and he would have yanked on the leash trying to get up the tree and then if the leash got caught in the tree.. >__<
I wouldn't worry too much about him being traumatized or anything, just dont expect him and dogs to get along at some point in the future. xD

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Premier Cat

That's exactly why I take mine for "walkies" in a pet stroller. Though they don't get the exercise (mine get enough running around our house), they do get the stimulation, and they're safe. I think if you had him on a leash he would likely have ended up on the top of your head! He definitely would have used you as the tree. Is there another park, field, or school yard you could take him where there wouldn't be any dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Cat Addict

The same thing happened to us once with Sinatra. Luckily, my boyfriend climbed the tree and got him down.

Edit: He was on a leash at the time and the same thing happened, except my boyfriend got clawed up while Sinatra escaped the harness.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thank you all for the support.

I hadn't thought of that, actually I don't know much about leashes...

I forgot to say in my first post that I "abandoned" Prince as a way to force him to jump down, not because I meant to leave it there, of course.

I also didn't make it clear that "2-room" apt. here means 1 tiny bedroom and 1 smallish dining+living room, with a tiny kitchen and bathroom. Basically no room for Prince to move around.

catloverami, I'm now trying to think of some place like you say, where there are no dogs or dogs are not allowed. I took him to the bank (across my narrow street) the other day, because they have signs everywhere saying that dogs are not allowed inside. They weren't able to chase Prince out because there's nothing written about cats LOL I have to think with a dog-owner's mind to find the places where they wouldn't go walk their dogs.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Kitten

I have just adopted my first cat and I had no idea people took them for walks! I guess my childhood cat would follow us around the neighborhood when we would walk the dogs.

Can you locate a park with a playground I have always noticed there are not many dogs where there are small children.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Cat

this is exactly why I had to give up taking my gal for walks on a leash...it sucks
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Tom Cat

Do cats get stressed out if you take them outside to a new area? I let Lumen play in my front yard, which is a nice big area, there are no dogs allowed but a few rambunctious kids. I hadnt thought about taking her somewhere else, and that just interested me what her reaction might be (to run away?) She follows me around in the front yard as it is, and comes when called.

Christine
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Cool Cat

I think it's wonderful that you take your cat for walks! It's such a great bonding ritual. The "abandoning" must have been hard, but sounds like a really good idea--if you'd stayed there for comforting, it's hard to say if he'd have ever jumped down on his own! Give him time to get over it; he might be sketchy about if for a while, but it's also good that he knows there are dangers like that out there. He'll adapt, and I'm sure future walks will be better for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Tom Cat

Now this activity is part of his arsenal of solutions to problems. No different from learning how to get from one room to another. Part of the basic load of experience of all animals - adapt and survive. Hard for us humans to witness, but has been going on for thousands of years. Good job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page