So my little bad-a* Lumen almost gave me a heart attack about 10 minutes ago. Who woulda thunk this sweet little face could be such a tough cookie.
Right now she's sulking in the dining room, giving me these glowering looks (just took this pic now):
I realize I never told the whole story of how Lumen came to be here, so here goes (I'll keep it cliff-noted):
- March 2010: Watching a movie on a rainy night with the BF. Had windows open because I love rain. Hear some gosh-awful meowing, take a look downstairs (I live in a second-story apartment in a suburban NJ town), and see a wet, dark, miserable little thing wailing at the top of her lungs, running the sidewalks. OMG! (I had Mr. T at the time). Went outside, couldn't find her, left out some food, next day, gone.
- April 2010: keep seeing more of this little creature. Turns out she's super-friendly and has made best buds of a little 6 year old girl and her parents, who were my neighbors at the time. The girl named the cat "Meow", and it stuck. What other cat could say her own name?
- May thru Oct 2010: My neighbors and I would play with Meow, leave her food, but no one knew where she went at night. She had a scar from spaying, and would come right up to anyone with her tail and chin held high, often reaching on her hind legs for more scritches, and jump on the lap of anyone sitting hear her. She had the heart of everyone around her, but no one was willing to take her in.
- Oct 2010: It's getting colder. I think Meow should be taken in, but I don't know if she's FIV/Leuk positive, plus my Mr T has always been an only-child in all of his nine years. So, I pass out flyers to all my neighbors explaining the situation. No one wants to take her in (even though we all love her!) I call the town shelter (where I visit frequently). They trap her and take her in. I am heartbroken.
- Nov 2010: Meow is renamed Zula by the shelter. She is negative for all diseases, has her shots, was already spayed, and is still her awesome friendly self. I come visit. She recognizes me and goes crazy. Guess what happens:
I bring her home the first week of Dec 2010 (I had to prepare my home and my dear, sweet Tequila (I'll tell his story another time)). I re-named her Lumen (from the TV show "Dexter" on Showtime). She's had three, possibly more names! As you all know already, she's an absolute love, and a huge personality, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I know she knows she's a rescue, she just has that "gratefulness" about her. You know?
Not sure how old she is, but the vet approximates about 3 or 4. NO idea of her previous owners, but she was obviously someone's pet. No one claimed her at the shelter, and it's been seven months now and we haven't heard anything. So. I'm hers now! We also think she may be Russian Blue. Woohoo, so fancy!
Okay well her personality is super-strong, clearly. She loves to be outside and has attempted opening the front door, with the doorknob and her paws, several times. So, I let her out in her old stomping grounds from time to time, since it's right where I found her. I always supervise her, also.
Well, I found out today where she used to go at night: The crawl space under my building!!
I always knew there was a door to "the basement", from the outside, but it's padlocked. She would always check it out, and I thought nothing of it. Until today when I saw her little head.. then the rest of her.. go through a hole in the door that I hadn't noticed! I freak out, and pull her back out from her tail and back legs. I know, bad, and she would have eventually come back out on her own. Maybe
. But she's okay, she let me know her displeasure by meowing and shedding about 10% of her fur (which is about 20913910 cathairs) all over me.. but, I'm calm, she's safe (albeit mad), and a small mystery has been solved.