Large Cat Owner ......Do you use a carrier - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Large Cat Owner ......Do you use a carrier

Lola is a big girl... and the cat carrier we have just seems so ridiculously small for her but its the biggest one we can find that has a top opening. (she will NOT go in thru the front door of it) We only put her in a carrier when she is going to the vet. I am seriously thinking of getting her used to a harness and leash just for riding to vet and maybe visits to Petco/Petsmart etc...

your thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sherryv02; 05-13-2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: misspelled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Tom Cat

Yes, we always start out in a carrier when traveling. (image: 6 carriers all bungee corded into place in the back seat) The hard sided carriers come in multiple sizes - get a bigger size. Ignore the label "cat" and find a "pet" carrier in the correct size. If you have issues with having to load from the top - just set the carrier on end. We have one that has to be loaded this way sometimes - othertimes he goes in fine & uses his carrier as a hidyhole for napping.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

maybe I should ignore the "Cat" part of the carrier....and get a dog one. good point. I feel like a idiot for not even THINKING of that lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Senior Cat

Mitzi is a big girl, but she prefers to travel in a carrier- so we have a two cat carrier for her. I just carry Evie, she sits on my knee in the car (my OH drives) and is quite happy to be held. She isn't so fond of her carrier- she gets very agitated.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Tom Cat

Wicket is HUGE and we've never been able to get him into the carrier very well, he's too feisty and even with the top opening we always had to wrap him in a tshirt etc. etc.

Randomly, last time we were in the pet store we found a soft dog crate that looks like this:

Google Image Result for http://www.muttmart.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/ZA420new.jpg

and he goes into that no problem! He protests when we zip it all up but he's nowhere near as hard to crate in this as he was in the smaller hard carrier. It was like 75 bucks on sale but totally worth it. It doubles as a bed in the house and when we don't need it we unzip it and it folds up to an inch thick! Best "accident" we've made so far
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Oh wow that is great!!!!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Tom Cat

Yeah I was worried at first that he would claw his way out of it, it's really just strong fabric, really well constructed, but I would still never leave him in it overnight alone--however, for car rides and such back and forth to kennel and vet it's been awesome, and we pull back the side flaps so he can see us and that seems to help him calm down!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 PM
Cat Addict

I have one for Misa. She would win though. Binnie also wines in his carrier, but he's little. He's like 8 Ibs.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Premier Cat

We have a rolling backpack for our cats. Since it is also available for dogs you can get it in the size that you need. I really like the rolling feature since some of my cats are heavy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dog rolling backpack.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	2646  

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Cat Addict

Leazie, that's the one I want. Where did you get it?

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page