Cleaning around your pets! Steam mop suggestions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Cleaning around your pets! Steam mop suggestions?

I'm looking to get rid of my swiffer wet jet, for one, it's one of the two cleaning chemicals I use that doesn't get wiped up afterwards, and two, it doesn't really clean all that well.

I should probably mention I don't need anything SUPER heavy duty, because I live in a small apartment where I have 3 areas in the house with linoleum. I 4x6 kitchen space, a 4x4 bathroom area and a 3x5 walk in closet where the litter boxes are.

I'm debating on using a steam mop, but I would also like one that I can use on the walls of my shower, which are white tile and white grout... I used to use lysol basin tub and tile, but again, I'm thinking of the health of my little ones, the 2 youngest of whom love to wrestle in the tub... at 3 am.... O.o it echoes...

After Monkey's bout of pancreatitis, I'm scared to use about anything that she could possibly pick up residue from. I figure, windex is alright, because it gets wiped away until dry, scrubbing bubbles in the kitchen sink for the shine, which also gets rinsed and wiped dry after use, I'm using clorox green works as an all purpose atm, and bar keepers friend on the bottom of the tub for the non slip stuff (God that stuff is annoying to get clean) and that also gets rinsed well with hot water and washed away. IF the steam mop can work on that, it would eliminate a little more of my worry. Thanks in advance for any tips and tricks, and some real pet safe ways to clean!

(EDIT) Ah yes, and since shortly after posting this (about 15 seconds) Romy horked up a massive hairball, it reminded me I also use Resolve Triple Oxi advance on stains in the carpet. Says nothing about being harmful to pets, but also, if you have a better solution, let me know LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Beckie210789; 05-14-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Cat

For now I use an old fashioned rag mop and Murphy's oil soap, but my MIL and SIL both have a Hoover steam mop and I totally want one!! They have only had good things to say about theirs. And I use Arm and Hammer Pet Stain Remover w/Oxy Clean for pet stains on carpet, furniture, and clothes. Cleans well, totally kills odors, and smells good. Since it's meant to clean up after pets, I'm assuming it's safe for a home w/pets.

Last edited by Maggie the Cat; 05-14-2011 at 12:47 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I actually just googled the resolve, and it is in fact safe for pets, at least that's what they say anyway... I don't know who I can believe anymore lol. Arm and Hammer though, I'll check out, I've always liked their products. (Aside from their cat litter that you could flush, yuck, no odor control and a very messy clogged toilet lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:12 AM
Cat Addict

Good to know about the Resolve I always wash Nutmegs feet after she tries to bury her hairballs I've already cleaned up with the Resolve. Still though, it is probably best for her not to ingest it. I'm thinking about buying a more natural cleaner soon, I will let you know how well it works.

Becky, the proud momma of:

Last edited by Sinatra-Butters; 05-14-2011 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Inadequate comma usage
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Premier Cat

Vinegar will take vomit stains out, it's what I use for most stains. Any stains involving blood I use peroxide. If it's really a hideous carpet stain I'll use the woolite carpet scrubby stick. For regular vacuuming I have straight baking soda in one of those glass sugar shakers and sprinkle the carpet with that and let it sit for 10 minutes then vacuum up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Okay, this is way off topic, but talk of "blood stains" always reminds me of this:

Quote:
"Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem."
(Jerry Seinfeld)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Cool Cat

I am very sensative to odors and have a lot of allergies. Simple Green is my favorite cleaner. Buy the concentrate and dilute it for your needs - or even use it full strength.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
Jr. Cat

i use the H2O Mop and love it. it cleans well without any chemicals. i used the Swiffer wet jet and one of my cats got so sick. i took him to the vet because i thought he was dying. the only thing i had done different was use the Swiffer. he wasn't going outside at the time. the vet told me not to use the Swiffer with the chemicals.

also, for carpet and stains, i use OUT! Stain and Odor Remover. it has taken the smell of cat and dog urine out, completely removed blood from light beige carpeting, and cleans up vomit stains.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Cat

I have a regular swiffer that I put a wash cloth on and spray the floor with a non-toxic cleaner.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Cat

I hope I dont shock anyone here but.... I hand wash the floors on my hands and knees! The reason why is I used to do housekeeping at a resort some time ago and it was the only way we were allowed to wash the floors..well let me tell you, its by far the best way I have found to actually clean the floor. I can see everything when im only inches from the floor and I use a bucket with warm water, a wash rag and Green Works surface spray. I do this twice a week besides the spot cleaning I do if something is spilled.. yep I guess im a regular ole Cinderella
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page