My oldest cat may be deaf... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My oldest cat may be deaf...

Today I noticed Sherbert doesn't seem respond to sound. 2 days ago he did. He has also been scratching at his ears for the last day.

Lets hope the Vet can tell me whats up. I just hope this is not the first of many age related things telling me time is short. Yes I know I am probably worrying over nothing, but I have had him forever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Cat Addict

Get to the vet asap... he has an ear infection, his hearing may improve with treatment, it may not. Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Yeah I plan on being on the phone with his vet as soon as they unlock the doors in the morning. And having him there very soon afterward.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Cat

I think Sherbert will be fine. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

If it makes you feel better, I'd be worried if the same thing happened to Gabby.

Last edited by Gabby169; 05-15-2011 at 05:05 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

I hope your Sherbert will be able to fully recover. If not, there are a few things you can change to accomodate having a deaf kitty in your home.

We have a deaf kitten. She became completely deaf and has permanant neurological issues due to a terrible infection she had as a younger kitten. Here is what we do to accomodate her disability:
We try to catch her attention visually before we touch her so we do not startle her.
If she is sleeping, we will blow a light puff of air on her or gently jiggle her bed to wake her up.
We have started using hand signals to communicate with her, but she has to be looking at us in order to respond.
We make her wear a jingle bell collar (hence her name: Jingle Belle) so *we* know she is underfoot/nearby and WE have to watch our feet because we cannot say "Move kitties, out of the way!" with her.
The jingle bell collar would also be helpful *IF* she ever accidentally gets outside. She can't hear us calling for her, but we would be able to her her jingle bell collar to find her.

Good luck!
h =^..^=

PS ... I have also bought a small "locator", like a tiny remote I can attach to her collar. The other remote is synched with it and at the press of a button, I can locate her when the locator on her collar beeps in response.
I have not put this on her collar yet, I am try to think of a way to attach it so it can't dangle down and get dipped into the water bowl and/or accidentally activate the beeper on her locator if she wrestles with the other kitties.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Should be able to contact the vet in about 45 minutes. I hope its just an infection. but then he is 18 and issues are bound to crop up even though he has shown no major health issues as yet.

The "move kitty, get out of the way." never worked when he was listening...but he is already used to hand signals since I tend to use them training dogs anyway, and I used them around the cats as a matter of habit.

He is a strictly indoor cat and only goes out on a leash. even to the vets. He had a sinus infection recently, so i am thinking maybe the 2 are linked. he had started avoiding (more then usual) kibble and has seemed to develop an allergy to it, so maybe thats the issue since he would scratch around his ears. I have changed his diet and he is back up to a good weight and is inhaling the raw meats as fast as i prepare it at meal times .

Anyway, all I can do is drag him to the vet and let her have a look. Good thing he doesn't fight being pilled or droppers....

<crosses fingers>

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Ok back from the Vet. Sherbert has a yeast infection that went so fast it completely blocked up his right ear. The other was minorly effected. But she expects it to clear up completely. I have noticed he was showing some signs of an allergy to his "new and improved" kibble that was left down free choice, and since they "improved" it he has also had a sinus infection. As well as a marked weight loss So we think this is it, so no more kibble..

I have been transitioning him to a raw diet and he has gained good weight and his muscle tone has improved as well as his energy. So I will have to up the search for variety of meat sources since he will only lick the gravy off of wet food but not eat them.

My Vet did say her heart hit the floor when she saw his name on the list.. she was afraid it was a quality of life issue.. But she also said he is officially her oldest feline patient and one of the healthiest. Yay Sherbert!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Tom Cat

glad to hear (pun intended) that he's okay!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q View Post
PS ... I have also bought a small "locator", like a tiny remote I can attach to her collar. The other remote is synched with it and at the press of a button, I can locate her when the locator on her collar beeps in response.
I have not put this on her collar yet, I am try to think of a way to attach it so it can't dangle down and get dipped into the water bowl and/or accidentally activate the beeper on her locator if she wrestles with the other kitties.
Ooooh.. where did you get it? How much $?

Christine
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Cat Addict

Glad to hear Sherbert will be okay. How the raw diet helps with his allergies, keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page