Scaredy Cat! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Scaredy Cat!

Most of you know about my adventures with Rochelle by now. For those of you that don't, she was extremely skittish and scared all the time when we first brought her home from the shelter at the end of last August. It took a very long time for her to warm up to me, my boyfriend, and our home (for a while there I was wondering if she ever would), but she's made tremendous strides in overcoming her fears, and she's a fairly normal cat now. She still starts at certain things, and anything new freaks her out.

So Monday night we're watching tv on the couch. I see Rochelle slinking around the apartment (back legs really close to the ground and her tail dragging), and her eyes were as round as dinner plates and completely dilated. She kept looking at the living room window. So I go to look outside, and there's three deer not 15 feet from our deck/patio...two does and a fawn. They were all staring straight in the window, and I think because they were staring right at Rochelle she freaked out a bit. She doesn't do well with other animals bigger than her. Once they went into the stand of trees that runs along the back of our building she was fine.

Tonight, my boyfriend brought me home a pink balloon for fun. Rochelle took one look at it, and ran and hid under the tv stand. She came out a little later, saw it again, and promptly hid under the tv stand again. Seriously, she is terrified of this balloon. I tied it up in the bedroom closet so she gets as little interaction as possible with it. Makes me wonder if she had some bad balloon experiences in the past, poor girl. I guess this means no balloon decorations for her 2nd birthday next month...

Poor girl...it makes me so sad that she's so terrified of new things and experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Cat

Poor rochelle, she'll have to be balloon deprived. Then there is my cat. I got a mylar balloon for my birthday, and it had a clip on the end. I decided that Morse's toy mouse needed to be clipped to that balloon. He be-bopped around with that for awhile, until bedtime. His litter box was in the bathroom, so I left the door slightly ajar. He sleeps on my feet usually.

I wake up at midnight, and freak out cause I think someone is standing over me. I calmed myself down when I realized that Morse had brought the balloon in, and wanted me to play with it. I took the balloon out, and we went to bed again.

This whole process repeated itself 2 more times, and I decided I had enough. He was very upset when I stabbed the balloon. He cried, then went to bed...however I got him one about a week later because it was so funny to watch him carry it around, and look so proud of himself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Premier Cat

Aww...poor Rochelle. First deer, then balloons! Muffs is not too bad with new things these days, provided they don't make any sort of noise. If they do, she dives underneath the coffee table!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:18 AM
Cat Addict

Awww, she has had a rough week!

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Rochelle is back to her old self. Mewing her cute little mew, cuddling in bed, and just being the pretty princess she knows she is.

I even took her out on a little trip yesterday. We went to visit my boyfriend at work, and she was so happy to see him...hopped right in his lap while he sat at his desk. She took the car ride pretty well, although she started getting antsy when we got close to home (scratching at the carrier and crying a bit).

I think I might start taking her out more...she doesn't have the experiences that Alice and Samantha have had, so I'm hoping that by getting her a little more exposure to new people and places, that she won't be so scared around here when something does happen to frighten her.

morse - That is too cute! I'd love it if any of my girls carried around a balloon of their very own!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page