Question about litter and comment about cat food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question about litter and comment about cat food

I seems that all I do with my day is scoop poop. Ha! When Can I switch Malto to clumping litter? He's about 9 weeks on tomorrow.

I have to put in a lot of litter because he digs and digs and burrows and makes a high heap to do his business on. IDK why. He's weird. lol.

I was browsing a popular cat food website and was shocked to discover that opened canned food can't stay out for more than 24hours, not even in the refrigerator! Are the meats and other products so rancid that it can't last 24hrs in the fridge? I kinda wanted to cry, knowing I didn't have the money to feed my kitten better.

Can you give me your thoughts on the litter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Tom Cat

Oops...we've kept food longer than 24 hours in the fridge (covered, of course)...especially the big 13 oz cans. I never would have thought that would be too long, since we keep our human leftovers longer than that!

I don't know about when you can switch to clumping litter, because I don't know anything about very young kittens. When we got ours, they were 4 months old, and we used non-clumping at first, because we'd read that kittens should not have clumping. HOWEVER it drove us absolutely nuts, especially because I felt like I had clay dust in my eyes and nose ALL the time, so we switched to clumping when they were about 4.5 months old, and haven't had ANY problems.

Also, your kitten is the cutest thing I have seen in quite awhile. I just want to pet that little soft belly....

Spencer and Katie
and Lily, always in our hearts
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Tom Cat

Not sure about the 24hr canned food thing. I had emailed the company who's food I use and they told me 3-5 days in the fridge after opening. I have lids for the cans and obviously put them in the fridge immediately after opening. I end up using the entire can in 3-4 days, and it seems fine visually.

Malto is soooo cute!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Cat

There are some really paranoid people out there who won't let wet kitty food sit out for more than 15 minutes to half an hour at the most. Unless a kitty has a weakened immune system food can be left out longer and in the fridge for a few days.

My kitty, Gabby, has never used anything other than clumping litter and has never had a problem with it. She's never ever messed outside of a litter box.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Premier Cat

MowMow's 10 PM snack (a large tablespoon of canned food) often sits overnight and if I sleep late in the morning he finishes it off and comes back to bed.

Also, I store canned food (covered) in the fridge for up to two days and haven't had a problem yet.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Cat

In the interest of odor control, labor-saving, and economy, we have always used clumping litter in our multi-cat household, even with kittens. I have read recently that it's "bad" for cats but honestly we've never had any problems. Once they are all-raw I plan to investigate other more "natural" options but I'm in no rush.

"I love cats because I enjoy my home and, little by little, they become its visible soul."--Jean Cocteau
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

I got my kitten at 8 weeks old and started him directly on clumping litter. They used it at the humane society as well. I use and will always use Fresh Steps clumping litter for all my cats.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Senior Cat

Cats in the wild bury their food in the dirt and eat it a day or two later; I think covered food in a cold fridge will be fine for a few days. XD

Some cats just like to dig, so a litterbox with higher sides might be in order.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Kitten

Oh wow, well I just learned my new factoid for the day. I never knew I couldn't use clumping litter with kittens. It makes absolute sense, but no one ever told me! I've had cats my whole life (2 of them were my "nannies" sleeping in my crib with me even lol) so I just learned most things from my mother whose had cats all of her adult life. You'd think a vet would've mentioned this. Thank GOODNESS I've never had an issue.

Thank you all for that!

As for cat food I tend to only keep them about 24 hours, that's more my cats issue then. When I've given them food that's been in the fridge covered but has been 24 hrs or so they've turned their noses up at it. So I assumed it was bad. Nowadays I just tend to get the 5.5 oz cans. I can split that between my 2 cats and it'll be gone no worries about left overs. It's cheaper to get the big cans but not if it's going to waster I figure. Good to know the food probably isn't bad it's just my finicky babies lol

-Danielle (w/Bozzy & Alina)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 AM
Premier Cat

Various articles by Dr. Lisa Pierson (a vet referred to often on this Forum) suggests not using clumping litter for kittens younger than 8 weeks. I used clumping for both my girls from the time I adopted them...Abby was a few days over 9 weeks and Muffs was 11 weeks at the time. So, I think you're fine with the litter.

Wet cat food can be left in the fridge for 2-3 days, provided it's covered. I always put any leftover food in a little tupperware container, rather than leaving it in the tin. I've just heard (can't recall why) that you shouldn't leaved canned food in the tin...so, I don't do that with my food or the cats' food.

Malto is adorable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page