I should take her this weekend shouldn't I? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I should take her this weekend shouldn't I?

Ok so I didnt want to take Karma home until she was 7-8 weeks old, but last night I went over to visit her. My friend who has the kittens lives in his parents house, although the upstairs is converted into a seperate apartment.. this is where the kittens were born and grew up with momma. So when I went over there last night, no kittens were to be found and I asked my friend where they were, he said they were all downstairs. I asked him if he could go retrieve my kitty as I wanted to see her (his friend ended up going down to get her) he came back up and said they were all huddled/scared behind the couch. I guess they are getting picked on and hissed at by the resident adult cats (I think 5 or 6 in all) and 5 children who also live downstairs. We brought her to the food dish where she just started attacking the food like she hadn't aten in a long time and I felt sooo bad, like they were all too scared to come out and eat because of all the commotion. So now im thinking I want to take her home this weekend (she will be 6wks old tomorrow) Is this a good idea? I didnt want to take her away from mom to early, but it seems as if she isnt seeing much of her anyways and she is eating dry kitten food and using the litterbox, so I guess im just hoping I can take her away from the whole situation and give her a loving, quieter, stress-free enviroment. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Cool Cat

You're right that the situation is not ideal. If you think your current cat and the kitten will get along well pretty quickly (sort of like a surrogate parent) then I would be much more apt to adopt early; otherwise, your kitten is going to have to sit in a safe room all alone for possibly weeks until your current cat accepts her. Of course if Karma is not receiving adequate care/food then you should not feel guilty about taking her early. If you decide to take her in early, you will just have some extra work cut out for you (like socialization training, claw training, encouraging proper cleaning and litterbox habits, possibly weaning, etc.)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I think Cricket would do pretty good with her, although I of course cant be 100% sure of that, but I was thinking about keeping her in one of the two bathrooms (both large) and putting a child gate up so that she can see through the holes and vise versa for Cricket (of course he'd be able to jump in if he wanted to) but I think she would have a hard time trying to get out if she even figured it out. The bathroom I was thinking is off the living room so she would be able to see and hear whats going on around to maybe get comfortable with the living situation before letting her wander, while trying to keep her food seperate from Crickets. My townhome is fairly large with a big upstairs and I dont really want her to get lost quite yet, so I was hoping to contain her somehow for at least a couple days. I had thought about just telling my friend to try and keep her and her siblings upstairs away from the commotion, but I guess its pretty much impossible because of how the two apartments are connected by only having one outside door. I guess there is a pretty big unnuetered male cat that has been harrassing the kittens, its his mom's cat and I just want to scream at her to get her cats fixed (none of them are and they are ALL related) I will go and visit her tomorrow again and see how things are going and make my decision then.

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page