How many are allergic to cats, but don't care? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

How many are allergic to cats, but don't care?

I have severe allergies to many things (environmental, cats, dust, etc) and have asthma, but that doesn't stop me from cuddling with my little man.

When we first got Sumo back in 2002, I thought I was going to die. The sneezing, wheezing, runny nose, congestion were SO bad. But I didn't care! Eventually they got better though.....I think I just had to get used to it.

After Sumo died, my allergies went away almost completely. I never knew my life from the allergy perspective could be so good. However, I still needed to get another cat to help me heal after the loss.

After getting Yoshi (7 weeks ago), my allergies flared up like never before. I was going through a big box of Puffs Plus every 3 days or so and using my inhalers constantly. Still didn't stop me from spending time with and cuddling Yoshi.

My allergies are now much better....again, I think my body just had to get used to him. I do have itchy eyes almost every night and need to use drops, and that will never get better from past experience.
But it doesn't matter regardless.....nothing could ever keep me away!

How many others here are in the same boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Cat

I think I am mildly allergic to cats--stuffy nose, itchy eyes sometimes, sneezing--but I don't care. Life without cats would be pointless in my opinion.

"I love cats because I enjoy my home and, little by little, they become its visible soul."--Jean Cocteau
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Tom Cat

I am very allergic. To everything. To the point where I finally went to an allergist to get tested in 2009 (the skin prick tests) and I am allergic to all 45 of the things they tested me for.

I've had dogs, and now with these two kitties (my first felines) I was bad, but I am getting better. I am on Singular 10 mg once/day, Advair to aid with lung congestion, and take FIVE allergy shots once a week: cats, dogs, dust mites, trees, and grass.

I have also started taking a spoonful of locally-made honey - I heard from many people that helps with seasonal allergies.

But, regards to cats (and all animals), I find once I'm exposed to them for long enough, my body "gets to know" them and I stop running through tissues like.. paper.. yeah. Terrible joke.

The allergy shots have helped too, although I don't like being so heavily medicated and they get expensive. I should be weaning off them in a few months.

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Cat

I got tested for allergies twice and funnily enough cats didn't make the list--but I only has 2 at the time. BIG difference between 2 cats and 10! (9 now). I use Flonase once a day which helps. I have to buy it online though--from a pharmacy in New Zealand!--because my ENT doc won't write me any more prescriptions unless I get tested again. I say what's the point? I have a lot of cats, I might or might not be allergic to them, and nothing in that scenario is going to change. Nor is dust, mold and pollen ever going to go away. I just want symptom control, I am not interested in finding out (again) that I have environmental allergies and now a pet dander allergy as well, if in fact I do. Yeah, I'm the world's best patient.

"I love cats because I enjoy my home and, little by little, they become its visible soul."--Jean Cocteau
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Cat Addict

I'm badly allergic to your average moggy (yes I'm stealing this british term because it is easier than typing out shelter cat all the time) and I can't take any allergy meds without bad side effects and/or they don't help. Non-drowsy allergy meds make me crazy (literally), regular allergy meds turn me into something akin to a shuffling zombie, and nasal sprays, which don't really do much good, cause my nose to randomly GUSH blood at least a few times a week.

So, my solution, I found a breed that doesn't trigger my allergies. Bengals are awesome! I walked into their breeder's house and not one sneeze or sniffle (and she had 18+ cats/kittens at the time). I love my baby kitties and I don't know what I would do without them.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Cat Addict

I'm slightly allergic to Miu (I only get red itchy skin when she rubs against my arm too much.), but I'm very allergic to Jack's dander. I can get congestion, sneezing, itchy eyes, you name it. I don't believe in medication so I just suffer through it. I find I'm better after I lint brush his fur off my blankets or if I wear a mask. It's on and off. Some days are better than others.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Premier Cat

I am really allergic to the Mow. Sneezing, coughing, runny nose and congestion. The eye itching is awful. It's not actually my eyes that itch so bad, it feels like it's my tear ducts (at least that's where it feels the best when I rub my eyes). Also, any spot that MowMow licks more than a seconds forms an awful rash.

I take generic Zyrtec and it seems to ease the worst of the symptoms. I still get a stuffy nose at night sleeping with him.

I find that the only thing that really helps is being SUPER diligent with cleaning. Weekly washing his blankets, pillows and couch covers. I have to wash my sheets AND my blankets every week and vacuuming HAS to be done at least twice a week.

That keeps it all bearable.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Cat Addict

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention.. I use peppermint flavor mints or halls to deal with the congestion too.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Cat Addict

I think we are all somewhat allergic here - esp. Hubby who's had cats for longer, and Jamie, who has plant allergies. Oh well...! Gracie gets bathed periodically to get rid of dander and saliva. Otherwise, we just blow our noses and hug her anyway. We wouldn't give her up for anything!

Fran
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Jr. Cat

I guess I'm very lucky!

As a child, we'd always had cats but after getting a new one, my lips started swelling and itching, then my ears then I had hives covering almost my entire body >.> I was taken to an allergist and they found I was highly allergic to cats. We re-homed the kitty (so sorry Boots!) because the doctors thought it might be a potentially life threatening situation if I got hives on the *inside* of my body. At the time my best friend had a couple persians and when I came home I was covered in hives and my mom was so mad!

And now... I'm not allergic anymore!! It just went away. This is why I'm lucky. I can snuggle Mandy and not worry about hives anymore.

But my poor boyfriend has a year round runny nose he blames on the cat. And he's the one who plays with her the most, hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page