My cat needs some leather shoes - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My cat needs some leather shoes

My cat doesn't like going to the vet. She basically turns into a demon cat when she is taken to a vet.

I was thinking that trips to the vet would be a lot less stressful if she had something to cover up her claws that was quick to put on and take off. I'm thinking about some leather socks with velco staps that could cover her feet and claws while she goes to the vet. Does anyone know if there is a product like this forsale somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Not leather, but there are rubber dog boots that would fit a cat. They're basically like balloons meant to go over paws. You would just have to watch her to be sure she doesn't eat them. But....it think trying to get them on her would be, um, interesting...

Pawz Dog Boots

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Senior Cat

Socks work wonders. Just slip them on and tie off with a rubber band

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkaMuffin View Post
Socks work wonders. Just slip them on and tie off with a rubber band
Putting a rubber band around ANY part of a child/animal makes me very very nervous. If it's even a tiny bit too tight it could cause serious damage and the cat would have to wear it for a decent amount of time.

You'd have to do that at home and then the ride to the vet... waiting in waiting room and then with the vet and possibly even for the ride home.

Not a safe idea at all, imo.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowMow View Post
Putting a rubber band around ANY part of a child/animal makes me very very nervous. If it's even a tiny bit too tight it could cause serious damage and the cat would have to wear it for a decent amount of time.

You'd have to do that at home and then the ride to the vet... waiting in waiting room and then with the vet and possibly even for the ride home.

Not a safe idea at all, imo.
Well... I've had to use rubberbands for my hair before, and when I take them out, they go on my wrist. Many a time have they been a bit too tight and well, I'm still here today.

I understand where you are coming from though, collars put on too tight can over time cut into the skin etc, but a rubber band over a sock on the leg isn't going to do any harm in my opinion. ^^

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:25 PM
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Premier Cat

Yes because you can take it off if it's too constrictive and cutting off blood supply or pinching on a nerve. The cat won't be able to do that and is screwed dealing with the pain until the owner takes it off.

I just don't think it's worth the danger of it cutting off a blood supply or a cat chewing it off and eating it....
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Sounds like my cat, last time they had to use the gloves and collar, during all of this she gave me the "are you gona jump in here and help me" look and i feel so bad, but it is the only was the vet can examine her. Last time i was in with her and she would not come out of the carrier, had to take it apart, lol.

if you find any i would love to try them, the back feet would be a no no on rosie, that is a no go zone
The vet I used to go to had someone with some big leather gloves hold her while he did his thing. The problem is that I moved to Houston and the 2 vets I've been to here look at me like I'm an animal abuser for even mentioning using leather gloves. The second vet couldn't even get my cat out of the pet carrier because my cat "attacked" them. They wanted to use anesthesia on her to examine her.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Cool Cat

I heard that using feliway spray inside the carrier and in the car (spray a few minutes before getting into the car) can calm the cat for the ride over there. I haven't tried it yet going to the vet but just bought the spray to use when i take them the next time. I think my vet must use Feliway spray or diffusers in the exam room because every time my cats go to the vet, they become well behaved. It's like I am looking at a different cat!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN1 View Post
The vet I used to go to had someone with some big leather gloves hold her while he did his thing. The problem is that I moved to Houston and the 2 vets I've been to here look at me like I'm an animal abuser for even mentioning using leather gloves. The second vet couldn't even get my cat out of the pet carrier because my cat "attacked" them. They wanted to use anesthesia on her to examine her.
Have you tried to see if they have mobile vets in your area?That way they could examine her in your home and most have a RV like van with any necessary equipment that they might need.I had Boo fixed gave all the shots he needed and it didn't stress him as much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page