Story of the Move - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Story of the Move

Well as Ive posted before I was moving to sao paulo and was nervous about the cats and how they would deal with things, like being in a house instead of an apartment with a door dasher. Large dogs everywhere, Living next to a extremely large busy street.

Day 1

The movers came. Oliver revolted and decided to attack one of the movers feet as they were walking in the door. So I quickly moved him to the main bedroom with hana not thinking that duh, they are going to have to go in there to get the matress. So halfway through the move the man opens the door and out dashes both cats. Oliver I catch and put him out on the porch. All is good with him. But hana is terrified and hides herself wayyyy behind the kitchen cabnets where we couldnt reach. So we just left her there and hoped she didnt get brave and decide to dash out to get stepped on by all the movers going in an out. Oliver was trilling and meowing and prying at the porch the entire time but after that small couple dramas we got the place packed and the movers left...

After they left we had to bribe hana out from under the cabnets, get both beasties into their cages and set off for the new house. They were great in the car, both just fell asleep till we got here. We got here before the movers so I set up their litterbox, gave them some wet food and left out the water (because we didnt have any even for ourselves...)Oliver was out the first second he could and started exploring the room. Hana on the other hand refused to leave her cage for an hour till I went up and sat there till she came out to get some loving. But once the movers got here both cats ran behind the closet and hid till the movers finished. to which I was grateful because both doors were wide open and they could have gotten out at any time.

Now here, is where I was stupid. I left their door open and oliver decided to start wandering around the house. I should have left them in the one room for a day or two before letting them see the rest of the house, but I figured meh, why not what could it hurt. I had forgotten to close the door and why do it now when hes already started exploring...I WAS WRONG.

Day 2:

We went to bed only to wake up to a big pee stain on the sofa. Oliver has never had an accident before. So we knew this was on purpose. He knew the litterbox was upstairs. So we soak it up and go out to buy the cat spray to get rid of the smell so he doesnt do it again...But did I think of tipping the sofa over so he couldnt pee again while we were gone????

noooo of course not that is beyond my stupid brains capabilities. So when we got home later that night...guess what we walked into...a whole new layer of pee on the sofa. So that night we spent it soaking up the pee with papertowels (you cannot take the cusions off the sofas here...) and then using a mixture of white vinigar and water. Then the cat spray...then I tipped the sofa over and put the fan on it for the night...

Then I thought of what I read in this forum...cats need litterboxes on all floors of the house. So I got their second litterbox and brought it down to put next to the sofa to have him go there instead of the sofa.

It has worked, no more accidents!!! yay for catforums!!!

Hana on the other hand, has been wonderful. Very scared at first, but while we were gone she went exploring, then when we were in bed she came out of hidding to snuggle and sleep with me. She has been slowly exploring till now shes completely comfortable with the house, and even has tried doordashing to check out outside!!! I cant decide if I want to be proud of her for being brave or anoyed that its the ONE thing shes brave to do that I dont want her to be lol.

The house has one of those things that spray water at your bum to clean it next to the normal toilet. She now likes to sit there as if shes on the toilet while Im on the toilet. Then once I finish and stand up she goes "meow" and hops down. It is the funniest thing ever.

Hopefully once I get normal internet I can upload photos to go with this nice long story (will leave out the pee stains!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Cat Addict

Other then the sofa-peeing it doesn't sound like it went too badly. Good thing the litterbox on both floors worked for you. How do you like your new place?
Your Hana is such a beautiful kitty!

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

aw ty, yeah hana is a pretty gal. Saves her quite alot when we want to kill her. she was the destroyer of my sofas corners lol. My fav part of her is her butt and back legs. Its like a golden retriever. The fur plooms and collects there and fans out. Its the cutest thing Ive ever seen. So between that and her lack of grace and balance. Shes hilarious

the house is nice. It is old as heck. The stove runs on tanks like popane tanks for the BBQ. Which the owners took so we had to buy our own and our stove isnt hooked up for it so we have to get it modified. So still no cooking anything for me. The electric shower wasnt working either. My husband had to set it up. And then we found...it was the cheapest version ever and the water barely heats up, so we had to buy a new one of those...also no light fictures installed upstairs...so we had to buy those and wire those up...and the washing machines water spout was so old water leaks out the handle...so we had to replace that...

We also ordered a new bed...which we didnt think it all the way through. The steps are odd and the delivery people were all...um thats so not going to fit. But then they got it up here anyways. It was like watching an old tom and jerry cartoon with tom trying to get through the mousehole...except he makes it in the end lol. Dunno how we are going to get it down when we move in a few years. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I cant wait till we get curtains. We had security at the entry of the street. which is almost directly in front of us...so They can see right into my livingroom and have no issues of looking up into the window of the second bedroom and waving at me. >.< They are friendly, which is nice...but I mean...come on...I need some privacy up in here lol. So curtains are my new priority after I get the stove and laundry machine set up...

so overall...the answer to your question. Im happy that it is 10 mins away from my husbands work...in a city where it takes 1 hour to get a mile...and the house is okay...so Im happy lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page