Catnapped! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Catnapped!

We live in a quiet family type town without much in the way of stray cats. I almost never see one.

Anyway, I accidentally adopted a cat that appeared in our yard by being friendly and offering food. I never planned to make any real effort to catch it, but turns out that being friendly and offering food was all it took. (Well, I did initially trick her into the house or she never would have went.) Since that was a pretty clear indication to me she wasnt a feral, we did make some modest efforts to find an owner, asking the immediate neighbors and posting on the town forum (which admittedly not many read). We didnt try too hard, because it seemed she had been out on her own a bit . . . she was super hungry, accidentally biting and drawing blood from my hand when I put food on it, and gobbling down what we gave her. She also looked a bit thin (not skin and bones though...she looked ok).

Took her to the vet yesterday . . . turns out she is a 3 year old already spayed female, no microchip.

We did have her inside a week before letting her be an indoor/outdoor cat (which she has been for 3 weeks or so), so arguably we might have confused her sense of direction. That said, she really looks like she gained two pounds in a month with us, and a week isnt that long for a 3 year old cat that knows how to and wants to go to its home. She clearly isnt looking to go anywhere, we can generally find her near the house if we are inclined to look for her, and she is commonly in calling range. So I think she was lost or abandonded, and probably not from super-nearby or she would just stroll home.

I feel a little bad, but I probably shouldnt right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Cat Addict

I've been in your situation. Like you, I made some "modest efforts" to find the cat's owner. All the time hoping I wouldn't.
If anyone was seriously interested in finding their cat, they'd make an effort. No effort= the cat found a new and no doubt better owner.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenport ferals View Post
I've been in your situation. Like you, I made some "modest efforts" to find the cat's owner. All the time hoping I wouldn't.
If anyone was seriously interested in finding their cat, they'd make an effort. No effort= the cat found a new and no doubt better owner.
Good point. I forgot that I did call the local shelters and the police (its a small town, they are super nice) and left my phone number. That should be enough because anyone that cares is going to check there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Cat Addict

Don't feel too bad, try to make an effort, most people will at least call the pound anyone else will hang up flyers and knock on doors And don't forget just because she is spayed does not mean someone may not abandon her and it could just as easily been someone driving through thinking in such a nice community their unwanted pet would find a home.

I was surprised by the number of healthy, young, spayed and neutered animals that are abandoned when people decide to have a kid.

good luck finding its loving worrying family, or congrats on taking in a unwanted, loving cat.

Either way the cat will be where she needs to be

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Premier Cat

It sounds like your "modest efforts" were really good enough, especially since you told the SPCA. I think I'd relax and consider yourself a new cat person! Does the kitty have a name? We need pictures.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
It sounds like your "modest efforts" were really good enough, especially since you told the SPCA. I think I'd relax and consider yourself a new cat person! Does the kitty have a name? We need pictures.
I concur.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Cat Addict

^^
agreed with above

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Jr. Cat

Good for you for showing compassion; you did all that was necessary, as the other posters have said, if someone truly wanted her back they would have her by now. Enjoy her Photos please....
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Cat

I agree with everyone else. You've done everything to locate it's owner. I'd say the kitty has adopted you!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Tom Cat

Same thing happened with my Lumen. She was a stray that was spayed already, not chipped or collared. Was a stray from March through Oct of 2010. Finally I adopted her (story here). I think you did the right thing as well.

Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page