Break Away Collar - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Break Away Collar

So do they come off when the cats are out playing? Just wondering, because wife and I are going to have to tag team immobilize & collar our girl. She has a lovely disposition (real nice kitty generally), unless you tick her off, in which case, you better watch out. Its entirely impossible to one person the collar no matter how quick you are, we have tried and she is too quick and cant be distracted into allowing it (i.e., tried when eating). I dont imagine that our tag team efforts are going to be pretty. Frankly, if the darn collar is going to come off in a week outside, we'll probably leave it alone. Not worth getting scratched up, she doesnt seem to wander all that far.

Sentimental side note: My 9 year old started bawling the other day when the cat wandered into a neighbor's yard. "She isnt wearing her collar! Ms. X doesnt know she is our cat, what if she takes her to the pound! [Cry, Sniffly, Sob, etc...]"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Also, would it be wise to consider a non-break away collar for this particular cat? I mean, risk is probably tiny, right? Where do you even get a non-breakaway these days?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Cat Addict

It depends on the brand. We had to get a brand that took a little tugging to actually break because Nutmeg figured out how to wrestle rough enough to get them off. When you go to buy it try snap them together and tug before you buy. Some literally just slip open, I have no idea how any cats keep them on!

You can find non-breaking collars at most stores, I wouldn't put them on my cat though.

Becky, the proud momma of:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sinatra-Butters; 05-27-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Cat Addict

I have buckle type collars for all my cats. They are little Houdini's. They still manage to get those off too, when they are playing rough.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Cat

I have an indoor only cat and he wears a collar just in case he gets out. The breakaway collars wear out after it has been "broken" away about a dozen times in my opinion. They're not expensive to replace but when I start noticing it's coming off more frequently, I get a new one. It doesn't bother me so much when I notice it's missing since I know I'll eventually find it in the house (his name tag is attached). But I can see how losing it outside would be a real big pain - especially if there's a name tag attached. Is your girl microchipped? Maybe that's the best plan just in case a collar comes off her and she gets picked up by someone.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM
Tom Cat

Cassie had a basic clip one, but only wore it for about a week at a time and was outside being supervised.

Cherry has a Coast breakaway collar. She's gotten it off a couple times, but for the most part it stays on pretty well. I have to pull a little to get it unclipped.

"Dogs have Masters. Cats have staff." - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page