Bird watching - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Bird watching

Ritz loves loves loves to watch birds from my balcony window. I put bird seed out to encourage the birds to stop by and say HI to Ritz.
Unfortunately the neighbor below me wants me to say Goodbye to the birds; she is tired of the bird poop and seeds falling onto her balcony railing and balcony.
I can more or less solve the bird seed problem; but does anyone have any ideas how to keep birds off a balcony railing but NOT the balcony itself?
I live on the top floor of a three story building, 100 foot drop. There are no trees close enough that I can reach to put a bird feeder on.
Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas what to put on the balcony that would keep Ritz entertained during the work day? She does not like the puzzle box or any toy that she has to play with by herself. Do the DVDs for cats work--the continuous loop DVDs that have lots of birds on them
Me and Ritz thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Senior Cat

I used to do this with apples. She loved it. This morning a big fat crow landed and paraded around on the balcony and she almost had a seizure from the excitement lol

can you hang stuff just outside, or closer to, a window instead?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Interesting about apples--no seeds!
I can certainly hang a bird feeder right next or on my balcony window, but that doesn't solve the bird poop problem. (I don't care if they poop on my balcony or railing; the neighbor cares.) Birds perch on something, but I was hoping I could buy something that they'd rather perch on besides a railing.
To complicate matters, chicken wire is in between the railing slats to prevent Ritz from falling through the cracks. (She is strictly an indoor cat, but one never knows....)
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Cat Addict

We use the feeders which stick to the window with suction cups. Perhaps it limit the bird poop a little for you too, since they would sit right over your own balcony rather than having a feeder hang over the railing? You could put a tray down under the feeder for the chaff that falls down...

A humming bird feeder would also be quite a thrill for kitty , and hummingbirds don't leave much mess...

If I think of other ideas I will post again. This is a subject near and dear to my heart, since I am a bird lover. Gracie loves our feeders!

Fran
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks. Yes, I've thought about a bird feeder with suction cups.
I put a suet cake above my balcony door/window but no birds approached. Any idea why?
And I don't think we have hummingbirds around here (suburban, Washington, DC area).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 PM
Cat Addict

Suet might be more appealing to a different set of birds than the usual urban ones - woodpeckers, woodsy species that would come around if you have enough trees and greenery. So it's probably a location issue. Seed eaters don't mind living in more urban settings: sparrows, finches, doves, pigeons, etc.

And as far as hummingbirds go, I think that the ruby-throated hummingbird is a summer resident of the entire Eastern half of the US, so it would be a seasonal thing to put up a feeder. If you have any plants on your balcony (esp with red or orange flowers) that would be a further attraction.

Fran
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Cat Addict

adding a small fountain or a shallow dish of sand would also bring in birds, my cats love to watch birds sand bathe. maybe line your balcolny with astro turf or something you can wipe off easy and put out one of those dowel rod clothing hangers for them to perch on? the cheap ones for socks and stuff?

You can also try mixing bird seed with peanut butter to lower the amount of seed spillage to your neighbors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page