this evenings tale of trying to help an injured feral - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Wink this evenings tale of trying to help an injured feral

i heard a cat and animal fighting earlier. well, being the person i am, i had to go out to try to find the animals after seeing fur and blood on the ground outside one of the windows. i saw the cat by the side of my house, over some rocks and in the flowers. he hangs around i we feed him. i spend time with him everyday but he never wants to stay indoors. i even had my grandma try to keep him inside last year... didn't work.

anyway... i was slowly approaching him. he looks scared and was bleeding from the back side of his neck. he coward and went to rollover on his back as i got closer. i was also trying to be careful and not scare him more! there are a bunch of rocks sloping up to the flower area (my dad did it). it looks nice but is not easy to walk on, especially if in a hurry. i was more concerned with getting the cat to stop bleeding. as i was about to step off the rocks with kitty, a large possum scurried out towards me and was making growling noises. i tried to lift the cat higher and run, but a rock moved and i fell. i tightened my right arm around the cat and tried to brace myself (and not hurt him) for the fall. i didn't make it. i landed on the left side with the top of my left hand down. i must be nuts! i got up and ran inside with kitty. it was difficult because i couldn't move my wrist/hand, but the bleeding did stop. his cut wasn't deep enough to need stitches. i cleaned it and put some steristrips on him to close it. he even left me shave around the cut. he kept sniffing and licking my hand and wrist. the sweet little guy!

i set up a kennel in the shade with some water, food and litter, then left to get myself checked out. all of that to help the kitty... i now have a cast because my wrist, along with a bone in my hand are broken. i let him out to roam and do his business when i got home. he kept trying to bat and lick at my cast. the poor cat! he got in a fight, cut open and traumatized all in a matter of minutes and he is still friendly with me! i really wish i could get him to be comfortable/socialized enough to stay inside. he is a gorgeous, well mannered 'feral,' despite the many scuffs he has been in. he is a long, thick haired tuxedo kitty with white 'sock' feet. he is such a sweetie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Jr. Cat

Thanks for helping that poor kitty and I hope you feel better soon.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Cat

Ouch! Hope the both of you feel better soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

thank you! he did have a rabies shot over a year ago. i have done shots for the ferals we have found... the ones friendly enough to let me do that. the vaccines expired a few months ago - did not know until this morning. i am going to get more from the vet tomorrow. she taught me the proper technique. i know cat anatomy too, so i they are safe with me doing them

cam a feral an adult feral ever become use to being indoors? he is approximately 5 years old. he has such a sweet disposition. i feel for him being outside so much, getting in fights and being hurt. did well being in the kennel overnight and while i was gone earlier. he is getting TNRed next week, as long as it is safe for him. if it isn't, he will go when it is safe.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Cat

Ouch!! What a great person you are for helping the cat & also giving them shots.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Senior Cat

I think if youre persistent with luring him indoors with treats, he may eventually spend longer and longer time indoors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page