Cats and Dogs - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Smile Cats and Dogs

How many of you have both?

How do they get along?

I adopted a puppy a couple of months ago and my cat, Buzzy, has adapted quite well. I knew he would - he used to be best friends with my mom's golden retriever. It's quite funny, actually. The puppy has developed a couple cat-like traits just by watching his "big brother."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Cat

My alpha male cat beats up my roommate's fat puggle. But sometimes they love each other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nelsonandwinston.jpg
Views:	5027
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2803  

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Cat

Squeee! I'd love a dog but Timmy hates them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Senior Cat

My parents have my gorgeous cat, Tammy (they wouldn't let me take her when I moved out, as she's such a lovely cat) and a rather crazy Border Collie, Jive. They are reluctant friends. We adopted Tammy as a 6 month old kitten, along came Jive two years later as a 4 year old dog... They had a very hate/hate relationship for a long time, well that is to say Jive LOVED Tammy, but Tammy couldn't stand Jive, she was forever giving him a slap round the mouth. Jive is a typical Border Collie, so he's obsessive over everything, he stares at Tammy for hours, tries to play with her constantly and attempts to sniff her bum. After, oh, only about 5 years did they learn to get along. They now give one another 'nose kisses' and occasionally play together. They don't cuddle though. Tammy has gone far enough in her acceptance of Jive!
My baby
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Cat Addict

We have a Cockapoo (Cocker Spaniel/Poodle) named Tara that's 10 years old and then the cats Blaze (15) and Blacky (unknown, had for 8 years)... my aunt has a Snowshoe cat named Zoey (2 years old) and a recently got a puppy named Coco (some kind of Spaniel, Poodle and Eskimo mix)... anyway, the way all the animals interact is interesting and unique, each animals takes or doesn't take to others.

Tara and Blaze:
Tara loves Blaze. She is obsessed with him, digs him out of his bedding, follows him around, goes nose to nose with him, doesn't mind if he sits right beside her, etc. Meanwhile, Blaze puts up with Tara but sometimes enough is enough and he'll hiss or swat at Tara (he never hisses otherwise!)...

Tara and Blacky:
Tara tolerates Blacky. She's getting better at it, but she used to immediately jump off the bed of Blacky joined us. Sometimes she tries to block Blacky's way up stairs (non-threatening, just standing in the way), and sometimes she tries to put a run on her - it doesn't work, Blacky isn't remotely afraid of Tara and just stands there complely relaxed until Tara ends up standing directly in front of her. Blacky would likely get along fabulously with Tara if Tara would be more accepting of her.

Tara and Zoey:
Tara more or less ignores Zoey, Zoey shows an interest in her since Zoey likes dogs but it doesn't get her anywhere.

Coco and Blaze:
Blaze is indifferent to Coco and Coco is pretty indifferent to Blaze, they've gone nose to nose and stuff but they don't see each other much anyway.

Coco and Zoey (they live together):
Are starting to get along, Zoey tries to play with Coco but Coco can be too hyper for her. Coco likes taking Zoey's toys and Zoey will chase after Coco to get them back, haha.

Coco and Blacky:
As soon as Coco sees Blacky a chase ensues. Blacky doesn't really know Coco so hisses if Coco gets too close when restrained on a leash to prevent chasing her and Coco is oblivious to the fact that Blacky doesn't like the chasing!

Past pets:
My aunt's previous cats (two Balinese) were in the "ignore" category with Tara as well, they took a swipe at her when she was a puppy and since then she studiously ignored them.

Our two previous dogs were in the "ignore" category with the two Balinese as well.

My aunt's cat before the two Balinese (he was deaf) hated men but loved dogs, he got along with our Jack Russel at the time, and that Jack Russel would snuggle with him! Any other cat she would occasionally try to chase, especially the Lynx point Balinese... we figure it looked too much like a raccoon for her instincts.

Here's a few pictures:

Tara and Zoey

Tara and Blacky (they do sleep on the same bed together at times but I don't have any pictures of that!)

Since I'm sharing pictures of my family pets I feel bad leaving any of the current pets out, but I don't have a picture of a few of them with other pets... so they'll have to go solo:

Coco:

And here's one (yeah, terrible lighting!) of Blaze:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 06-02-2011 at 02:24 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin1109 View Post
My alpha male cat beats up my roommate's fat puggle. But sometimes they love each other.
Oooooohhhhhh....how sweeet!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

I have one cat, Dagny, just over a year old. I have one dog, Savannah, a 2 year old Labrador Retriever. We keep our Lab outside and she has 2 acres of invisible fence keeping her in the yard. She is super, duper hyper. We let Dagny out for about 30 to 45 minutes when I get home from work while we play with Savannah. Dagny knows exactly where the invisible fence borders are and teases Savannah endlessly. Our dog loooooves Dagny and wants to play with him, but she is so big and hyper that Dagny will smell noses with Savannah some but he's very careful because Savannah could really hurt him unintentionally. I'm hoping Savannah will calm down in a year or two or 10 so they can be in the house together. I can dream, can't I?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Feeling the need to share a pic or two of my boys
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	205035_727369259163_15207080_36940484_5075986_n.jpg
Views:	3078
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2804  

Name:	226973_737183446453_15207080_37063232_1916235_n.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2805  

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak_87 View Post
Feeling the need to share a pic or two of my boys
Haha! I feel like your cat is looking at your dog the way mine does. Almost with irritation and a general knowledge that he's better than the dog!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Cat

Our roommate has a dog, a boxer. She is a typical boxer that believes the words "cat" and "chase" must co-exist so we watch her carefully the few times she and the cats are in the same room. Sully becomes "on gaurd" but continues to lay there trying to pretend he doesn't care. He stalks away like he chose to leave the room on his own if the dog gets too close. Ella immediately becomes nothing but a memory and exits as quickly but not so quietly as possible. Which of course usually means we have to grab the dog who hears only 'CHASE ME.' Jack got cornored by her by accident the other day (roommate didnt realize we were in the laundry room). Jack puffed himself up bigger than I would have thought possible and attacked her lol. He was hissing and spiiting and jumping at her rather than away. She didnt know what to do with a fighting cat (especially not one thats only 2 lbs) and just sat back and stared at him. Absolutely hilarious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page