How many litterboxes do you have? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

How many litterboxes do you have?

What kind of litterboxes do you use?

How spaced out are they?

We have a split level foyer but we only use the upstairs (roommate downstairs, the cats can walk down there but there is just a small area with closed doors). So 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and a dining/living room combo. We have one litterbox in the dining room area thats a basic medium size box with a 'tent' style cover we bought from walmart. The other box is in the 3rd bedroom we call the study. With two cats this has been a nice set up for us.

I know with 2 cats the rule would be 3, but the space is so limited. I dont like having one in the bedrooms because I dont want to need to scoop a fresh one at 3 am. Our bathrooms are terribly small so thats not a good option either. So, is the extra box for spacing it around the house, or just to have an extra? With our new kitten, should we get a third box? Does anybody have 2 that are side by side? That seems like the only feasable option if we need another box, but it seems like overkill.

So how many do you have? How many cats? How spaced out? And for kicks what kind of litter do you use?

After experimenting with a few, we use Arm and Hammer Naturals multi-cat and love it. It tracks like madness so we vacuum more, but that was the lesser of the evils I found with other cat litters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Cat

We put three boxes side by side, but we're currently still training. I use World's Best Cat Litter, which is not bad. I've used both the original and the multi-cat. My cats like the original better. As long as they (or I) cover everything up, it doesn't have a smell, and it's one of the few clumping litters that works for kittens. It tracks horribly on our carpet though.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Jr. Cat

I have 1 cat and 1 litterbox. It is a litter robot litterbox, so it is self-cleaning.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Jr. Cat

Oh and we use tidy cats.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Cat

2 cats, 2 litterboxes.. one in each bathroom (one upstairs one downstairs) both are domed, however one has a sifter tray with it, which I found messy and dumb, so I decided to get rid of the sifter part and just scoop anyhow lol

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Cat

Two cats and two boxes. I use fresh step extreme or one of the unscented multi cat fresh steps. It doesn't track too bad and I like that it actually covers the smell of eliminations fairly quickly. I currently have one of the boxes in my room (gasp!). I hate that I do but I have a new kitten and I'm waiting until she's older to give her the roam of the house at night since I have another cat and my roommate has a dog. I'm also limited on where I can put the litter boxes because my roomate's dog is awful with sticking his head in there and eating kitty litter. Blech. I have one downstairs in a laundry area that I can gate off with a baby gate. Once the kitty is a little older, I'm hoping to figure out a way to move the other box in my bathroom, but it's a small bathroom. That also means one more baby gate to step over. So, I'm contemplating putting two downstairs side by side. My older cat never seemed bothered with having to go downstairs at night to use the litter box if the need arose.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Premier Cat

I have 2 cats and I formerly had 4 boxes, but moved down to 3 a few months ago. However, I have a large house. I use Maxx Cat, Small Spaces (despite the large house!), because it has virtually no dust, minimal tracking and excellent odor control. However, I don't believe it's sold outside of Canada. My boxes are located in my ensuite bathroom (attached to my bedroom), the dining room (formerly Abby's safe room) and the den (which is the "cats room", since there's nothing in there other than cat toys!).

I think the reason for the "plus one" rule of thumb is to cover the situation where you have cats who like to pee in one box and poop in another. If yours don't bother about that, you should be fine with two. As for what to do when you get a new kitten (I take it that's a new kitten on top of your two existing cats)...well, you will need another litter box initially for the kitten's safe room. Once the kitten has the run of the house, you can see how things go with 2 boxes for all 3 cats. If all three cats get along, there's no litter box "guarding", and you scoop regularly, you might be fine with only 2 boxes.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Tom Cat

Nine litter boxes in three rooms (I have six cats). I use Dr.Elsey's Cat Attract litter because it is the most dust-free out of everything I've tried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Jr. Cat

I have 3 for 1 cat, I used to have 2 cats but 1 passed. I just kept the extra box, though I'll probably move down to 2 eventually.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Senior Cat

1 cat, 1 litterbox.

The dog may be wonderful prose, but only the cat is poetry. - French Proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page