Laser lights - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Laser lights

Ok so I recently bought Cricket a Laser Light, well about a month ago anyways.. well we get into some heavy laser sessions and at the end he starts panting (mouth open, tongue out ya know) is this when I should call it quits? I have been because I get worried that he is over-heating or something, is that what is happening?

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Premier Cat

Murphy pants too after running up and down the hallway to get the laser light. We always take short breaks between 'sessions' to give him a chance to calm down.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Cat

Gabby will also pant after a really vigorous play session.

I was wondering if other cats did the same thing but now I know. Thanks for asking the question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Cat Addict

Oh Francis pants after a long session of the laser light. lol He's the only cat that I nkow that is "normal."

The other two cats don't pant and they don't lay the laser light as vigorous as Francis. Sissy(Vinnie) and Diva(Misa).. Diva is lazy and sissy is in the middle, but definetally not lazy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to KittieLover Send a message via Skype™ to KittieLover
Kitty usually lays down on the tiles against something, then pants.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Tom Cat

Depends on how long a play session is before they start panting. Treat it like you going to the gym & working out. We all pant after a good treadmill workout if we are doing it right. Kitties need the exercise too. A couple of our guys don't last very long but they are teens. Sasquatch, PuddyWoW & Tufty will tear around for quite a while before wearing out. The good news is it is a great toy for building up muscletone for pudgywudgies. And much easier on the mom than chasing them around the house & up and down stairs. Over the last year was able to reduce Sasquatch's wt from 23 very fluffy pounds to 16.8 lbs of solid cat. And used it plus the chasing routine when I got Bentley to reduce him from 30 lbs of squidge to 15 lb over a 2 year period.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Haha I like your choice of words... "Pudgywudgies" and "Squidge"

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Cat

We did get one of these for our new kitten. The packaging said to keep sessions to 10 minutes. We tried it on our old Sasha girl and she just rolled over and went back to sleep. hehe

Since Sparta is so young I am telling my daughter to keep it at 5 minute sessions and from there we can build up to 10.

Something else you can do with the laser is direct a slower and faster tempo... think aerobics class haha Do a warm up ~ a gradual build then a slower more muscle intense middle (having the light on the wall or areas she has to stretch to get to) and then a bit more running. I would then slow down the tempo for a cool down period.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Tom Cat

Bentley likes to lay still now & just reach a paw out to slap at it. Which sometimes get him run over by the younger ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page