Blizzy Caught A Mouse--Indoors! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Blizzy Caught A Mouse--Indoors!

I was getting ready to turn out the lights, after midnight last night, when I came downstairs and saw Blizzy playing with a furry mouse in the front hall foyer. He does that on occasion, but this time when I looked, I could swear the mouse was alive. Hard to tell at first, because Blizzy had him in his mouth, then swung him by his tail, as he does with his grey and white furry mice, and then the mouse played dead when Blizzy let go of him. And then tried to run off, but Bliz grabbed him again. I got a small box and tried to get Bliz to let go, but he was being very possessive. And then Hersh got into the act, as well--my two late adolescent males. Down to the basement they went, then back up to the living and then dining room, kitchen, back to the foyer, first Blizzy, then once Hersh had gotten control of the mouse, it was emit low growls, carry it around, drop it, watch it try to get away, grab it again. Little Hersh, who was bottle fed from 12 days and so had never seen a sight like this, was getting an education as he stood by and observed. Snowby stayed mainly in the kitchen. I had been counting on her killer instinct, displayed with spiders, to come through. But no, after some momentary interest, she stayed away, since she didn't want to go near Blizzy.

OK, guys, I said after a while. Enough is enough. I can't get him away from you, and you are not killing him. What am I going to do? I decided I'd go to sleep, that the guys wouldn't let him get away. Within another five minutes, though, and about a half-hour after this started, when I went down to turn off the basement light, Blizzy was at the bottom with what appeared to be only part of the mouse remaining. He took a couple more bites, chewed some, and the whole thing was gone, leaving not a trace on the carpet.

I was concerned and had hoped to get the mouse away from them before that happened, but I just couldn't. I had field mice in the unfinished part of my basement winter before last--indeed, it was when that happened, the first time in 25 years, when I decided it was time to get two cats after seven years without one in the house. I thought I'd wait until the Fall, but when I saw Snowball in the shelter, I was smitten, and the rest, as they say, is history. Anyway, there are still some poison food packs scattered about the unfinished part of the basement, so I was/am concerned that if this mouse had eaten some, Blizzy might be in some danger. But it's now 13 hours later, and he's acting totally normally. In fact, he just hopped up into my lap as I am typing (probably to make sure I spell his name right! That's B-l-i-z-z-y the Hero of the Day).

Blizzy had come from a West Virginia kill shelter at age six months, and I had suspected he had been an outdoor cat. He and Hersh both behaved as if they knew what do do with the mouse, though given my unfamiliarity with the situation, I was surprised they "played" with the mouse for a good half hour. Perhaps that is their way of gradually getting it to die of fright or injuries, but I felt awful during that period. I was unhappy about the mouse in the house, but he looked like a cute fellow (or girl), and I didn't want him to suffer. I would have caught him and just put him back outside, if I could have gotten him away from them. I had thought cats would just bite the neck or head to kill the mouse right away, with a killer instinct, but these guys didn't do that. Maybe they were not super experienced, don't know. But it was quite an experience for me, as well as them. I had been feeding them introductory raw on occasion, but this was definitely not part of the plan!

And now, when Blizzy or Hersh wants to groom me, as they do, I'm not so thrilled about it. I know cats' mouths are not clean, but I have let them groom me, I kind of like what it represents. But not for awhile after a mouse has been in their mouths!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
I believe a kitten needs to be taught the kill bite by their mother, so perhaps this is why neither of them quickly dispatched the mouse. OR, since they are both fed and provided for, there is no need to quickly kill it, because they don't NEED it for food. It was more sport to them.

Either way, good job boys!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Banned

Unless they're really hungry a cat will play with it's live food, I think they're just hardwired that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito View Post
I believe a kitten needs to be taught the kill bite by their mother, so perhaps this is why neither of them quickly dispatched the mouse. OR, since they are both fed and provided for, there is no need to quickly kill it, because they don't NEED it for food. It was more sport to them.

OK, thanks, makes sense to me, since they are indeed well fed, it's just that Hersh is much more demonstrative and quicker with a purloined hamburger roll, and Blizzy with a kitty treat, than they were with the mouse. I had thought Snowby would show up the boys, but no such luck!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

In the midst of the commotion last night, I managed to take one photo of Blizzy with the mouse. Not the best, but it will have to do. To you all it should look like any old furry mouse toy, but it ain't.

Last edited by NRD; 06-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Cat Addict

Thats awesome!! =D Well at least you got a mouser. hehe.. Mousers are cool When Francis use to come by while we babysat him, the first thing he will usually do is he will go to the same spot when he caught his first one.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to RachandNito
We get an occasional mouse, but they are in the basement and do not dare show their faces upstairs. I think they realize it would be suicidal. And the cats, who are not allowed in the basement, know very well that there are mice down there. Nito spends some time every day standing patrol by the basement door.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:06 AM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachandNito View Post

My dad used to have an outdoorsy cat when he lived in Montana and one of his stories (other than the one where D-2 hacked up a hairball in front of a particularly disagreeable neighbor) is about D-2 catching... a mouse? a vole? something small, anyway, and then letting it go, catching it, letting it go a little farther, catching it, letting it go even farther, and catching it again, until the mouse gave up and just sat there. I'm guessing D-2 wasn't exceptionally hungry at the time! Congratulations on your mouser, by the way
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Tom Cat

It is gross, but they did their job!

We occasionally have mice in the garage, but a couple years back, we actually had one in the house....

It was late night/early morning, my man (Dave) and I were sleeping. Sumo hadn't come to bed like he always did. Didn't think anything of it though. Then, I was awakened by little mouse squeals and Dave yelling. I jumped out of bed, and down the hallway was Sumo walking towards our bedroom, mouse in mouth, still alive.

I freaked out....didn't want Sumo eating or killing the thing. I picked up Sumo, mouse still dangling and squealing. He dropped the mouse and it ran back down the hall into kitchen. I shoved Sumo in the bedroom and shut the door. Now we had to try and catch it.

It took us probably a good hour +. We had the entire living room in shambles, couches piled onto eachother. Tried using tupperware, etc to catch him....to no avail.

Then a lightbulb went off.....what about the wet/dry vac?? Brought that up from the basement and got in our positions. I scared the mouse so he ran the other way....right towards Dave, who was holding the vacuum. I quickly hit the switch to power it on and BAM. We had sucked it up.

We drove it down to our mailbox (1/2 mile away), where there is a field. We let him go...he was alive and seemed fine.

That was Sumo's night as a predator.....but mom took away his fun.
Makes a good story though!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

I know the feeling!! Good job boys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page