Lap Cats, Borned? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Lap Cats, Borned?

My Meme a abandon cat that the girls at the office where I used to work rescued picked me to be her special human.
She would sit in my lap for hours while I watched TV, she was extremely polite, as soon as I started to get up she would jump down and when I returned to my chair she would jump on the couch then cross over to my chair, she also love laying next to me between my leg and the arm of the chair.
After she passed away I got Samantha, purebred Maine Coon, raised in a home with another litter of kittens, she was a wonderful cat and we spent 15 1/2 happy years together, but she wouldn't sit in my lap and while she liked to sit on the arm of my chair she couldn't be coaxed to ever become a lap Kitty.
Was this just part of her personality or because she wasn't held enough as a kitten.
I got her when she was 6 months old and at the house there was her sister and 3 half siblings, she was kind of nonchalant to my presents, I wonder if this caused her to get less attention, squeaky wheel gets the oil.
So she wasn't held enough.
She was as loving a cat as I've ever known but no lap time for Papa.
I learned quickly to love and accept her for the cat she was, not the cat I wanted her to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Cat

Well, I'm not sure about your cat, but my two kittens...well...I think it's personality. Finnick loves to be in my lap. He wants to sleep, eat, and play in it. When I come into the room, he demands I sit down and let him on my lap. Katniss just wants to be petted and doesn't care much about it. She'll sit in it for a few minutes, but she usually doesn't stay very long.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Cool Cat

Main Coons are rather big. Is it possible Samantha wasn't comfortable in a lap? Missy, a large cat, likes to sit half on, half off me when I'm in a certain chair, but I'd never call her a lap cat.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Tom Cat

I have always thought that it was dependent on how they were raised as a kitten. We got Sumo at 8 weeks and I was constantly holding him and he was always in my lap or laying on me. This never changed throughout his entire life.

I have been doing the same with Yoshi and he's turning out to be a great lap cat as well...which makes me very happy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
Main Coons are rather big. Is it possible Samantha wasn't comfortable in a lap? Missy, a large cat, likes to sit half on, half off me when I'm in a certain chair, but I'd never call her a lap cat.
While large I don't think that was the problem, when I was choosing which one of the beauties to bring home Blondie her half sister who was 8 months old and quite large climbed into my lap, Samantha was only 6 months on and about 6 lbs so she wasn't too big for the lap, she also never liked being held either.
Now she would sit on the arm of my easy chair and allow me to pet and comb her for hours, we also spent per bed time together in my bed and as soon as I went to turn out the lights she'd jump off and go to one of her regular spots.
She did sleep on my bed during the day.
My previous cat always slept with me, by mourning I'd be on the edge of the bed and she'd be sleeping in the middle of the beds.
I had a cat when I was a child that would go under the covers, they're be this big purring lump, most cats don't like to be covered up.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 04:55 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooncatbob View Post
I had a cat when I was a child that would go under the covers, they're be this big purring lump, most cats don't like to be covered up.
Really? That's news to me. One of my cat loves to be under covers, the other one is interested in them. Over half the cats I've known like going under the covers at least when it's cold outside.

Anyway, I think for for some cats it's just their personality. Some breeds of cat are known for not being a lap cat while others are known as lap cats. Then there are cats where they show no interest or are afraid of laps and it takes you repeatedly placing the cat on your lap until it feels safe enough with you and the whole lap situation. Then there are other cats that will mellow out with age and become lap cats, too.

When I tamed Blacky I had to place her on my lap a lot before she even started wanting to stay there for more than a split second. These days she's often found sleeping on my lap while I'm at the computer, but it took an effort on my part and a building of trust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page