What Do You Call This Color? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

What Do You Call This Color?

I haven't posted here for awhile, so I am hoping I still remember how to post photos.

I am listing my foster kittens on Petfinder, but I am not sure what to list them as.

What do you call this color?

I think this one is a Seal Point?

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, I'm not sure but that kitten in the bottom picture is GORGEOUS. I'd scoop him/her up in a heartbeat.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Jr. Cat

The top picture looks like maybe a Blue Cream Point? And the bottom picture would be a Blue Point since the colors are diluted. Seal Point is much darker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Cool Cat

Oh my goodness they are gorgeous! If I didn't have a 2-cat limit I'd be tempted to take them off your hands,

Pointed cats are tricky because their colors darken as they age. I am not really an expert on them, and I think we have a siamese breeder on here who'd know better, but the second one to me looks like seal or blue? I am leaning towards blue because the colors are more blue-grey, while seal is more brown-tinted.

The first one looks like a tortie-point, or maybe a tortie-lynx point, in blue I think?

Last edited by marie73; 06-05-2011 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removed links
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Cat

Aww, adoooorable!!!

They are both "pointed cats." The first is a "blue cream tortie point." Or a "diluted tortie point." Same thing, different names. Genetically, she's a tortoiseshell, a black and orange cat (black and orange genes are on the X chromosomes; she has two X chromosomes as a female, one black, one orange, both are expressed). The black and orange is "diluted" by another gene which turns the black into the blueish grey and the orange into cream. The pointed gene restricts the color to the points. So a blue cream tortie point

The second is a blue point cat (I think some people call it lilac point). It's a genetically black cat (either X(black)X(black) if it's female or X(black)Y if it's male). Like the tortie point, it carries the dilution gene which turns the black into "blue." And also, the pointed gene which restricts colors to the points.

A seal point is a black cat with no dilutions and the pointed gene, so it would look like your blue point only with black instead of blue. The "pointed gene" is called the himalayan gene, and it's actually a form of albinism. It restricts pigment based on temperature. The body parts that stay hot stay white. The body parts that get cooler (face, ears, tail, legs) will show pigment. All pointed cats are born white since they've been toasty in their mamma. They get darker as they get older (both of these cats will most likely get darker), and many pointed cats are darker in the winter than in the summer.

In short, Kitty #1 = Blue Cream Tortie Point (or Diluted Tortie Point).
Kitty #2 = Blue Point (or Lilac Point).
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Cat

That's the most interesting thing I've read all day. I need a book on cat genetics. I didn't know any of that (but I'm not a breeder or anything so maybe that's why haha)!

Last edited by marie73; 06-05-2011 at 08:53 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks everyone!

Prairienights ~ Wow! Thanks for all that information. That really helped and makes a lot of sense.

Now I can get these kitties posted and hopefully they will find their own homes soon.

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Cat

Oh snap! You live in Eagan, where my brother just moved from (he moved from Eagan to Maple Grove) ..dang its hard to know your so close but I think im at my limit! Not fair!

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God". ~Unknown
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

cute!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Morquinn ~ There is always room for another kitty! J/K

I think it is wise to stop when you know you are at your limit. I learned the hard way. That one more cat can change everything.

Katie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page