sad story - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Unhappy sad story

Apologize for sharing a sad story here but this really affected me the other day. I went outside to do my daily walk to cornerstore and some cat search/feeding. I heard some meowing from backyard and I saw the big black cat again, but then I looked over and saw what I hope to never have to see again. There was a cat that looked very much like Connie(profile pic) but with shorter hair, if I had to guess id say she was a main coon, but it was hard to tell. She had a really sad meow, and when she saw me she walked over and put her face in the fence. It was then that I noticed something was wrong. Her fur was matted and disgusting looking, almost like it had rust on certain spots, it was obvious she hadn't groomed herself in a LONG time, so I held out the food by an opening in the fence and she aqgain walked into the fence, this time I saw her eyes. Her thiird eye wasn't closed, but her eyes were very milky, and as she kept walking into the fence I woneed if she was blind. I moved the food a little farther and she walked thru opening smelled the fod, meowed and walked away. Then I noticed she had a big clump of u know what hanging from her back leg hair. I go inside and upstairs to get the cat carriwr and go back outside...she was gone, haven't seen her since... I've never seen a cat that looked that close to death before. I immediately went inside and gave Connie some love!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Banned

Maine Coon's can have a blockage caused by their hair being matted by poop.
They can't go and Imagine it can cause great distress.
Once my Samantha was scooting here rear on the carpet, I rushed her to the groomer to get it taken care of and after that I was always trimmed her rear end.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Cat

Send a message via AIM to Natalie Jayne
Oh no, that is sad. So hope she makes a 2nd appearance and you may be able to get her in the cat cage. Good luck xoox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Cat Addict

How very sad. I sure hope she recovers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

It's not unusual for long haired cats to have poop on their butt, especially if they've had diarrhea. Holly has this problem on occasion.

Was the rusty color on the black patches? That is probably the result of being out in the sun. Cats with black that spend a lot of time outside often have that happen.

But it does sound as if the poor kitty needs some serious attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I haven't seen her since, I don't think I will she looked rly bad/sad. As for her rusty fur, yea I do believe it was on her black/grey fur. But her fur, its so hard to explain. It was all knotted and matted and tangled and mangled, it almost looked like grey/white tuxedo maine coon crossed with a cornish rex (or whatever the curly haired cat was)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Holly (a Maine Coon) grooms herself regularly and Kobi helps too...but she still gets mats regularly. If no one helped her out for a few years, she'd be a matted mess. So I expect that's what you're seeing. Our local shelter has a poster on their wall about matting...they attached what amounts to a hair shell that they took off a cat that came in. The cat was literally matted around it's entire body....they took off the "shell" in as large a piece as they could...it was really gross.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page