Finding Lost Kitten - Need Advice - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Finding Lost Kitten - Need Advice

My parents/siblings think that the kittens, especially Mitch, need to go outside. I hate the thought of letting "my babies" out, so they let Mitch out when I'm not around. Well, I wake up this morning, and they had let him out, and he hadn't come back yet.

Mitch was born August 7, 2010 so he is close to a year old. I raised him from the time he was four weeks old, so he has no training from his mother, on how to be safe outside.

He has now been missing for nine hours I've been outside almost all day, walking around our yard and all through the small woods behind our house, and haven't even heard him. I've used the catcatcher toy that he loves, dragging it past all the bushes at least ten times, in hopes that he'd pounce on it.

I have a humane trap set in our backyard, and will borrow another 2-4 from the shelter tomorrow, if he hasn't shown up yet. I have looked everywhere I can think of, and crawled through many bushes (including getting very scratched up by blackberries), which is really bugging my seasonal allergies.

I've brought Morey (Mitch's brother) out on a harness/leash with me, to see if he would be able to help in finding him, but no luck. I've walked around for two hours shaking the cat treat bag, which always makes the kittens come running, but again that didn't work.

All of our neighbors know that he is missing, and there is a lost ad on craigslist.

Tonight I'm going to be looking with a flashlight for as long as I can stay alert enough to be able to do any good. But I have a feeling that all I'm going to find with that method (looking for glowing eyes) are possums, raccoons, and skunks so that will be interesting.

Is there anything else you can think of that I should try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sprinkle (used) kitty litter around the doors of the house.

I hope he comes home soon.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

have a sit down talk with your parents, tell them your siblings have let the kitten out, explain to them that its upsetting to you and hopefully they will be talked to../ get in trouble/ Cats are better indoor pets then outdoor.

This is sad and I'm not going to go into all the awful things that could happen. It might be best to re home the kitten while its still a kitten and wait on pets until you own your own place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsPride View Post
have a sit down talk with your parents, tell them your siblings have let the kitten out
Her parents are part of the problem, too. I think if any talking is to be done, it would be to rip parents/siblings a new one for going against her wishes in the first place. I know I'd be beyond furious if I were furryfriends251.

----------
Renée
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Yeah I just realized that too.

I think she should find a good home for the kitten and wait until she's an adult before she has cats. Threatening her parents will only get her in trouble.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Senior Cat

I'm sorry, I can't think of what else to do that you're not already doing.

I would be furious with my parents and siblings, to say the least-- I would be unleashing the biggest guilt trip ever and it would end with my parents and siblings sobbing and rending their garments, wishing they were dead. I also would rehome all of the cats and wait until you have your own place before adopting pets again. Unfortunately it's your parents' house and you can't force them to do anything, so you really can't have cats in an environment where someone could be doing things to them that are against your wishes.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Banned

FurryFriends, I am beyond sorry this has happened. I will be gathering notes from other threads to post all together for you, but I hope and pray with all my heart that Mitch returns home safe and sound ASAP.

I disagree with the other posters that you should rehome your cats just because your parents and siblings are total idiots (and what I'd like to say to them is far from family-friendly), but this is a topic we can address after Mitch is back.

I just thought of something. Can you put Morey is a secure carrier and place it at the end of the trap you've got set out in the yard? If it's cool enough, cover everything with a big blanket EXCEPT the opening end. If Mitch catches a whiff of his brother, he'll enter the trap more easily.

You can set your alarm for every few hours to check on Morey. If it's hot where you are, though, you might not want to do this.

I am praying hard for you, honey!

AC
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know that you must be beside yourself and so scared. AC's ideas seem like great ones. Please keep us posted on how this goes!

Note: To discuss how she should rehome her cat while she's still searching for him and very upset is not only insensitive but it's downright rude to kick her while she's down.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Cat Addict

I agree with Krissy 100%. We are supposed to be here to help.

Have you contacted animal control to see if they have picked up any strays? How about the animal shelter? Someone could have thought he was a stray and brought him in. Is he chipped or collared? Did you look in the trees? He could have gotten spooked and went up one. Also, is there small openings under your house or deck he could have crawled in and got stuck?

Good luck, I hope you get your boy home soon.

Becky, the proud momma of:

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Cat

Oh no! I hope you find your kitty! Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page