Picked up new foster momma + her 4 kittens (pics!) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Picked up new foster momma + her 4 kittens (pics!)

The poor mom, Leila, is SOOOO skinny. She looks almost 2-dimensional because her tummy is so flat! I'm trying to fatten her up with canned food, but she has a URI, so she's not very interested in food...she is constantly sneezing. I've also started her and the kittens on Clavamox, so hopefully that will help.

I'm not sure how old the kittens are--they were supposedly 2 weeks on May 10, when they were all originally brought to the shelter as strays, but that would mean that they will be 6 weeks this Tuesday, and they just seem too young. Also, they're not eating solid food yet (though the shelter said they were using the litterbox?

There are 4 total, all boys. Two are black and two are orange. They are all SO sweet- they purr when they see me and they fall asleep snuggled against me or in my arms. Leila is also a sweetie- she's not at all afraid of me like Brooke was last year...she just sits next to me and purrs.

Pics!

Kittens:

Leila, the mom:

Last edited by paperbacknovel; 06-06-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

BTW, I've decided to name them after Glee characters- the all-black one is Puck, the black one with the white spot on his chest is Blaine (I thought it looked a little like the Warblers blazer he wears!), and the outgoing orange one is Finn, while the shyer orange one is Kurt.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Premier Cat

Orange kittens! Little baby MowMow! *Head explodes*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I KNOW, MowMow...when one of the orange ones first curled up in my arms and nuzzled against my chest to fall asleep, I looked at his little face and thought how much he looked like my Allegro...and my husband even said that it's like we get to see what our two orange cats and one black cat looked like as kittens! We could probably show people pics of them and claim they were our cats when they were little, lol.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Cool Cat

What a smart mom Leila is: "Look kids, this is how to get on in the world. Go to the women and purr your heads off. It'll get you just about anything."

Leila does look kinda thin, but the kittens look wonderful, but a doubtful six weeks as you said.

JusJim
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

adorable. what are you going to do with them? Are you going to keep any/find homes for them.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Cat

cute overload X 4!! I'm not familiar with Glee but I love it when people name animals with a theme. The shelter here had a batch of kittens they named Mocha, Java, Latte, and Espresso.

They could be almost 6 weeks. There growth could be stunted some because of kitty mama's infection.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

Maybe you could bottle feed them to help with that. Taking them from mom might be better for the mom if not the kittens, she shouldn't really be nursing in that condiction. The kittens could still see mom, just feed them regularly so they wont nurse and her milk will dry then she can focus on getting well herself.

Another thing you could do is spay mom now and feed the kittens yourself.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

CatsPride, I foster for my local humane society, so fortunately I don't have to do any of the work for finding them a home. When they reach 8 weeks and 2 pounds, I will bring them in to be neutered and adopted out--fortunately, kittens go pretty fast. I wish I could keep one, but we're at our personal limit of 3 cats.

Also, if I took her somewhere to be spayed right now I would be banned from fostering for them! I have to do what they want for the cats. If they need medical care at all, it always has to go through the shelter.

I cannot take her from them anyway--space logistics in my house for one thing, and time for another. I've bottle-fed kittens just for a weekend last summer, and that was so exhausting--I work 10-hour days and there's no way I would have the time! When I told the shelter I could foster again, I said that I could only take kittens that were either self-sufficient (on solid food and could be left alone for half the day) or nursing from their mom still. Between my 3 cats, long work days, and other obligations (I have a choir rehearsal tomorrow after work and will be gone from 6:30AM - 10:30PM, for instance), I simply cannot do anything more.

She has all the dry food she wants (I snuck in some Wellness Core into the mix with the Science Diet crud that the shelter requires I feed her), plus canned food as fast as she can eat it, tons of treats, and if she still isn't eating after work today I'm going to pick up some nutri-cal gel and KMR to mix with her food. Any other ideas? Someone at the pet supply store suggested making a "slushie" with crushed dry food, KMR, and canned tuna in water, and then heating it up to be extra stinky.

Also, since the kittens haven't even figured out that cat food can be eaten, and I'm not able to be there to supervise, they may also starve if I separate the mom, and she may go nuts trying to get to them.

Gabby, the shelter here pretty much insists on naming litters with a theme or in pairs/threes. They went to a seminar and one of the tips they got for how to adopt out more cats was to name cats in sets, so that people will say "oh, look at those kitties, Dolce and Gabbana. I want both, because it would be sad to separate them!" Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but anything helps, right? Also, since Glee is so popular and I pretty much picked the 4 most popular characters (I went to the Glee Live concert last Thursday, and these 4 guys got the biggest screams), I'm hoping that some fourteen-year-old girl is going to see them and beg her mom to get 2, or all four.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Cat

beautiful! poor, skinny mom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page