Ever feel like you have too many today? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Unhappy Ever feel like you have too many today?

Too many cats, too many kids, too many fosters all of them put together just become too many today.

I know it's really just a flu bug that I have too much of, but having spent my day and part of last light curled up next to the comode the meows of my cats, the barking of the dog, the mere voices of my boys and the tiny little mews of the foster kittens all have me feeling like there is waaaaay too much in my home right now.

I'll feel differently by morning I'm sure, when it is no longer so painful physically to meet their needs, when things get back to normal we all be just fine. The concept of how quickly everything can go from fine to unclean and out of control does indeed blow me away though....

Has anyone else had one of these painfully mindblowing experiences? One minute you are the caretaker and all is well - the next you are ill (but not quite bad enough to go to the hospital or call in for emergency backup) just sick enough so that it is all too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, that makes me wish I loved close to you so I could come clean litter boxes, yell at kids, feed cats/dogs and make you soup.........
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Tom Cat

Absolutely. When I am sick or in pain, my tolerance for the number of animals and work involved is much lower. I suck it up and do what needs to be done. I always swear that I won't take in (x) amount of fosters again. When I feel fine, even though there is a lot of work involved with the animals, I enjoy them much more. And when it comes between a little more work or a kitten being euth'd, I can't say no.

However, every time I feel down and overwhelmed with the number of fosters I have, I make it my mission to get one adopted. I take new photos, edit their bios, post on craigslist, make them an adoption video, and get them out in public (dogs only).

Katie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

I've definitely been there. And truth be told, I've found the line between doing just fine and feeling overwhelmed is pretty thin with six cats.

I recently lost my job and to keep busy, I'm volunteering at the local animal rescue league... when I filled out the paperwork, I told them I'd take any job except fostering, 'cause every single time I've fostered, fewer cats went out than came in, and I turned around one day and suddenly found myself meowmy to six cats!!

They thought that was pretty amusing, but I was mostly serious.

Hang in there, Nora!

AC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Cat

I hope you're feeling better soon!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thank you all - I feel less like a teary voice alone in the dark. And Mary when you posted 'The days you just want to curl up into a dust ball and hope somebody sucks you up the vacuum.'....I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - some of both maybe the disapearing part is so at the forefront but the idea os somebody else doing some vacuuming does make me smile.

I have a husband - who will in his fashion help with the kids - not the pets though, we all have a soapbox and that it his to be sure.

Thank you for letting me know I'm not the only one. It's really the fosters that are the hardest - mostly because they young but also because it is 5 more than normal....
probably not making much sense - please just add a bit of grateful to you all in addition to me overwhelmed too much sort of day
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Tom Cat

I hear you & send huggles plus one from PuddyWow who is helping me type.
And MowMow too bad you are all the way out west I could use some help right now doing battle with the fur bunnies under the couch they are turning mean.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, it is so hard to be the caretaker when you're feeling ill and needing to be taken care of too. :[

My boyfriend is great with the cats, and very helpful and supportive, but I usually feed them (since their feeding routine is kind of complex) and clean the litterbox, and feed him (as I like to cook and he doesn't know how to cook much) but boy, when I'm sick, it's just too much. Thankfully he's learned the ropes of the more complex cat chores so he can at least help with those when I am under the weather.

Now when we're both sick, that's even worse! Then we wish the cats could feed themselves and take care of us.

I hope you feel better soon Nora!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page